Chapter 11

Zeke

The crowd stayed quiet. They all stared at me and some looked at Nick. "Anyone is allowed to challenge a rank for their position. Beta Kingsley is giving you all an advantage by taking you at once. Anyone who wants to challenge him should step up" Nick announced. Hesitantly, one guy stepped forward out of the crowd. Then one-by-one, more people stepped up. I locked eyes with each one of them, but none of them could hold my stare.

Once people stopped coming out of the crowd, Nick stood in between me and the challengers. "I can't stop you guys from challenging the Beta. But I can suggest that you be smart" Nick told the challengers. "Know when to give up. Giving up is better than dying" he advised. He turned to me. "Try not to kill all of them" Nick mind-linked me.

I gave him a single nod before he moved out of the way. I looked at my opponents. There were six of them in total. Let's just call them by the order they stepped up. One was the first to begin the fight. After letting out a loud howl, he charged at me. The others copied his actions. I ducked under One's fist before catching Two's foot that almost hit my gut. I threw Two to the floor and punched Four in the jaw. We all heard a crack- the crowd even cringed. Four was knocked out.

The others looked at their packmate who was on the ground. They were much less confident about the fight. They all looked at each other, waiting for another person to take action. I smirked at all of them. "Step back into the crowd if you're too scared now" I told them all.

Three and Five walked away, grabbing Four in the process. I looked at the others, but they didn't seem like they would back down. I wasn't going to hurt them too bad. I wasn't even going to be the one to attack first. I waited for one of them to move.

Six charged at me, his shoulder hitting my gut. I wrapped my arms around his waist as he was leaned over. I flopped onto my back, causing his head to hit the ground. Groaning, he held his head and crawled away.

Quickly, I jumped back up and looked at the two people left. One and Two. They looked at each other before nodding their heads. They both charged at me. Two's shoulder made contact with my gut as One kicked my legs out from under me. As I went down, I grabbed ahold of Two's hair and brought him down with me.

My head and back made hit the floor. Two landed on his face. But he got back up at the same time as me. They started circling me. I felt warm liquid rolling down my back, but I ignored it. Glancing to my right, I saw Two's bloodied face. His forehead was cut and his nose was gushing with blood- probably broken. One wasn't even slightly hurt.

Again, they came at me simultaneously. I dropped onto my stomach, causing them to hit each other. I snickered, getting back up. They growled at me. Two was obviously more angry than One. Two went for me again. But One didn't.

Two extended his claws and stabbed them into my leg. I clenched my jaw, shoving him away before I growled at him. He slightly cringed, but quickly covered it up. He growled back and sprinted towards me. I jumped back as he attempted to stab his claws into my stomach.

The crowd gasped as I dodged the hit. I wasn't expecting a move that bold. My shirt was was cut with four large lacerations. I actually liked this shirt. It was one of the ones that Valerie picked out. I pulled off the pieces of fabric, leaving me shirtless. As I threw the shirt onto the floor, I took note of how the back was stained red from hitting the hard ground. I'll have to take Valerie back to the mall so she could pick out another one of those.

I shook the thoughts out of my head as the guys continued circling me. One kicked the shirt further away as they moved around. I waited for one of them to attack. Everyone was on edge, looking back and forth between the three of us. People had even come out of the packhouse to watch the fight. Some stayed inside but looked out the windows.