Epilogue

Zeke

"Zeke!" I think cutting off my ears would be less painful than Amanda's shouting. It's been a few weeks since Isaac was born; and Amanda has been here a single day. The girl is driving me crazy. She asks too many questions about the guys in this pack. I don't even talk to half of these people. But I have to be nice since she offered to babysit Kenny while I took Valerie out tonight. Knowing that she would just burst in, I kept filling out paperwork in my office. "It is extremely rude to ignore people!" Amanda snapped as she barged in. I knew it.

I sighed and put my pen down. I thought she was just here to ask more questions, but when I looked up, my eyebrows furrowed. She had an angry expression on her face, but her eyes told me that she was sad. "What happened?" I wondered, getting up to close the door.

Her face fell as she sunk into a chair. "I met my mate" If she's sad, then he must be a douche bag. "He literally ran from me" Amanda said softly. And now he's gonna be a dead douche bag.

"Who the hell is he?"

Amanda bit her lip and brushed her hair out of her face. "The doctor. I bumped into him while he was training" she informed me.

Pete is a good guy. We've talked a couple times, I helped him train too. He doesn't talk about anything personal. He's really closed off. But he's kind and respectful. I trust him. So it was a surprise to hear that he ran away from his mate. "Help yourself to all the ice cream in the fridge. I'm about to have a talk with Pete" I stated. Without arguing, Amanda left my office and I mind-linked Pete to come see me.

I grabbed my pen and began to work while I waited. Pete walked in minutes later. I glanced up, then looked at the chair. He closed the door behind him and sat down. I continued to work, finishing up the report before putting my pen down again. Valerie walked into the room and froze as she spotted Pete. "You can come in" I insisted. She slowly nodded her head. Instead of sitting by Pete and I, she saw on the couch away from my desk.

"You met my friend, Amanda, today" I stated, looking at Pete. He nodded his head in confirmation. "She is your mate" I pointed out.

Pete frowned. "I can't be with her" he blurted. I raised my eyebrows and rested my elbows on my desk. After having a short staring contest, Pete pulled out his wallet and opened it up. He handed it to me. In the clear pocket, there was a picture. It was Pete and a girl. She was pregnant. He had a hand on her protruding belly as they both smiled at the camera. "Her name was Krysten" I caught the past tense in the sentence. "She was my mate. We were gonna name our son Todd. But she passed away before he was born" Pete said softly. There were unshed tears in his eyes and his lips were curled down in what looked like a permanent frown.

Amanda is his second chance. Well, this just complicates things. I can't beat him up because he has an explanation. "I had a family that I couldn't protect. When they passed away, I stopped working- my Alpha hired a new doctor. I saw them all around my house, all over the packhouse. So when I found out you needed a doctor, I jumped at the chance to leave" he explained. That would explain why he was always staring at Valerie, Kenny, and I. Pete took a deep breath and squeezed his eyes shut. "I'm sure Amanda is a great person. But I've been through all of this before. I've done all of this before. And I can't do it again" he said sternly.

I nodded my head in understanding. "She's an amazing person- Amanda is. I get that you've had a mate and that you loved her and still love her. I get that you've had and lost your family. It's horrible. But you've been given a redo- a second chance. So take it" I suggested.

Pete shook his head with a sigh. "Krysten is my mate. It's not fair to her if I replace her with Amanda" he mused.

"Amanda is your mate too. Is it fair to her that you don't even give her a chance?" I questioned. Pete opened his mouth, but no words came out. It was a hard choice for him. I could understand his reasoning and hesitation. Even if running away did hurt Amanda, I couldn't be mad at Pete. "Even if you decide not to be with Amanda, you at least owe her an explanation"