Chapter 22

Zeke

Roger fled the room. Stephanie gave us a small smile before following her mate out the back door. Valerie dropped my hand and looked to the floor. Sighing, I lifted her chin back up and wiped away her tears. "He'll come around eventually. It won't happen in an instant. But I'll do whatever it takes to get on his good side. I promise. Okay?" Valerie sniffled and nodded her head. I gave her a small smile before pressing my lips to her forehead.

She sat down on the counter and pulled me closer so I was standing in front of her. She traced random patterns on my forearm as she rested her head on my shoulder. There were sparks everywhere she touched. I resisted the urge to shiver. "I don't want him to hate you. I want you guys to get along" she muttered.

I nodded in understanding. "We will. I'll make sure we do. It'll just take some time" I assured her. Valerie sighed. Hearing the door open, we both looked up. I had to turn around to see Stephanie coming back in with Roger trailing behind.

He took one look at us and narrowed his eyes. I guess we were in a susceptible position. Stephanie glared at him and pinched his arm. His gaze softened as he sighed. "Your father wants to talk to Zeke alone" Stephanie announced, looking at Valerie.

Valerie was hesitant. I pressed a kiss to her temple. "I'll be fine. Go with your mom" I mumbled. She nodded in agreement before hopping off the counter. I followed Roger outside and he began to walk towards the forest.

I wasn't worried about why he wanted to talk to me. I wasn't worried about him getting physical either. If he wanted to punch me in the face, then he could. I wasn't going to hit my mate's father. "I don't like you" he stated bluntly.

"I know"

He had his jaw clenched as we walked. "But Valerie is your mate. My wife approves of you for some reason. I have no reason to approve" he informed me.

I slowly nodded my head. "How would I get your approval?" I asked. He looked at me shocked for a second. "It means a lot to your daughter that we get along. I promised her that I would do anything in my power to get on your good side. So whatever you want, I'll do it" I said surely.

Roger stopped walking and stared at me. "That's a big promise for a new mate pair" he mused.

He just won't give up. I looked into his eyes to show him I was actually serious about this. "I care about Valerie. I cared about her before we even found out we were mates. It's not a big promise to me" I explained. That sounded a bit harsh. Valerie wants us to get along. I can't be rude. "Sir" I added.

After a few moments of a stare-down, Roger patted my shoulder. "I think our talk is over"

We walked back into the house and Valerie instantly shot up from her seat at the dining table. "We should celebrate" Roger stated, wrapping his arm around Stephanie's shoulders. "Call Ashlyn and Leia back home for tonight. We'll have a nice dinner" he suggested. Stephanie and Valerie slowly nodded in agreement.

Roger excused himself along with his wife before leaving Valerie and I alone in the kitchen. "So, it went well?" she guessed. I nodded in confirmation. I think I actually got on his good side. He might not like me, but I'm not hated. Valerie rushed forward and wrapped her arms around my neck. I bent down as she went on her tippytoes. "Thank you" she muttered before pulling away. I smiled at her, pushing her hair behind her ear. "Are you gonna tell me what you guys talked about?"

I shook my head and smirked at her. "It's guy stuff" I lied. She rolled her eyes at me. "He's cool with us" Valerie looked skeptical. "Trust me. Why else would he want to celebrate?"

Slowly, Valerie nodded her head. "Okay, I guess" she muttered. "Come on. It's only fair if you see my room. Since I've been living in yours" she changed the subject. I followed her up the stairs towards her bedroom. "Welcome to my bedroom" she said dramatically, throwing open her door.