Chapter 18

Zeke

I begged Piper to stay inside the house before going outside. I followed Caleb's scent to the edge of the territory. He glanced at me before turning to the rogue. I walked closer, seeing a man I never even met. He looked in his late twenties or early thirties. I examined him. He didn't look like he's been rogue for long.

He was wearing clean clothes. However, I noticed a few bruises and marked on his skin. "Who are you?" I questioned.

"Brenden" he stuck his hand out. I moved to shake it, Caleb stepped closer to me just in case. "I'm not here to cause trouble" Brenden informed us. I nodded, believing him. Caleb questioned what he was doing. "I need to talk to Beta Kingsley"

I turned to Caleb. "Can we talk back at the packhouse?" I asked in a whisper, so Brenden couldn't hear.

Caleb stared at me. "Piper's pregnant" he reminded me. I nodded in understanding, but repeated my question. "Downstairs. You stay downstairs" he caved.

Thanking him, I looked at Brenden. "Follow me" I demanded. I led him back to the house. Everyone else was watching warily. I told whoever was downstairs to go to their rooms. A few- Sam and Liam- huffed and glared, but they all disappeared upstairs. "What do you need to talk about?" I inquired, motioning for Brenden to sit. Caleb leaned against the wall as a safety precaution.

Brenden slowly eased onto one of the recliners. "You're the Beta of the Blood Star Pack" I nodded in confirmation. "I'm looking for someone- a girl. There's rumors that she joined your pack" Brenden stated. The only girl that joined our pack lately was Leia. "She's about your age. I don't know if she changed her hair color and stuff. But she's kinda short. She's really aggressive"

"What's your relation to this girl?" I asked.

His body shot up. "I went to the same pack as her, Silver Crescent. Do you know her?" he inquired, looking at me with a hopeful expression. Caleb stiffened and I narrowed my eyes at Brenden. I trusted him, but now I'm not sure. He's talking about Leia- that's positive. But how does he know her? Silver Crescent doesn't have the nicest people. He could be trying to find her to bring her back.

He has scars and bruises. That could be from fights, or it could be from torture. Caleb got closer. "What business do you have with her?" the Alpha asked.

Brenden sighed. "Is she okay? That's all I want to know. Someone talked about her being seen with you. Then she wasn't seen ever again" he told me.

I nodded my head. "She's fine. She joined our pack, which means she's in the protection of our pack if anything happens" I said, keeping my eyes narrowed at him.

He held his hands up in surrender. "Nothing's gonna happen. I didn't come here for that. I just wanted to know if she's alright" he explained. "Leia is a tough girl. But the rogue life isn't exactly friendly"

"Were you two close?" Caleb asked.

Brenden smiled and nodded his head. "She's my sister" he mumbled. My eyes widened and Caleb sent me a questioning look. I didn't know she had a brother. She never said anything about him. "She thinks I'm dead"

And that's probably why she didn't say anything.

***

The rest of the day, we listened to Brenden's story. Apparently, Leia and he tried to escape together. However, they got caught. Brenden told Leia to run while he fought them off. He never caught up with her, but he never stopped looking. Since she never seen him again, Leia assumed he died.

"You don't mind if we just confirmed this little story, right?" Caleb questioned. He really doesn't like Brenden. I think it's his protective Alpha side coming out since Piper is pregnant. But she's still upstairs sleeping.