Chapter 8

Zeke

We continued walking around the mall, shopping for things I really didn't need. I even bought some movie because Valerie looked interested in it. Honestly, I think she's tolerating me at the moment because I'm buying what she wants. It's only been an hour since Ashlyn left us alone. I didn't mind being with Valerie this long. She's actually funny in a sarcastic, slightly rude way.

"Did you want something to eat?" I asked as we got closer to the food court. Valerie shook her head, but her stomach growled. "Well, I think your stomach speaks the truth" I stated. She rolled her eyes- which is something that she's probably done a billion times in the past hour. "Tacos, Chinese food, burgers, hot dogs, or pizza?" I asked, scanning the food court.

Valerie shrugged. "You go get something. I'll get what I want" she said before she began walking away. I quickly reached out and pulled her to a stop. "I have cash" she informed me.

I scoffed. "Ashlyn wanted me to stay with you. So just tell me what you wanna eat" I demanded. With a sigh, she pointed at the pizza place. I nodded my head and we both walked to the counter.

I motioned for Valerie to order. "Hi. I'll have a small cheese pizza please" she said in a sweet voice. It was a big difference from her usually sarcastic and snappy tone.

The worker looked at me, waiting for my order. "I'll get a small pepperoni pizza" I stated.

"Please" Valerie said and lightly elbowed me as she smiled at the worker.

The guy nodded his head and punched in the order. As Valerie pulled her wallet out of her pocket, I handed the worker my card. He slid it in the machine before giving me the receipt to sign. "I can pay for my own food" Valerie stated as we sat down at a table.

I nodded my head in understanding. "And I can pay for all of the food" I pointed out. I had my own money from bets, gifts, and my parents' trust funds. I had more than enough to last the rest of my life.

"You're so difficult"

Chuckling, I shook my head at her. "You're the one that has a sarcastic comment flying out your mouth every five seconds. But I'm the difficult one?" I questioned.

Valerie shrugged. "I just don't get you. You're the one that killed all those people. But you're nice to Ashlyn. You wanted to rip my head off an hour ago; and now you're paying for my lunch. I don't understand you" she explained.

"What did Ashlyn tell you?" I asked.

She opened her mouth, but the worker from the pizza place called out my name. I stood up and got out food before going back to the table. "She just said there's more to a person than rumors that may or may not be true" Valerie informed me.

We began to eat, ending our conversation. I didn't know if I wanted to get close to Valerie. She can be infuriating at times, but she has a sense of humor. I'm not positive that she'll be cooperative in my rules. I don't need people thinking that I'm changing. I'm still the monster that they all made me out to be. I know for a fact a lot of people are still scared of me.

Some have been gossiping about me officially becoming Beta. Not everyone is excited about it. I even heard rumors about a revolution- which sounds ridiculous. "Zeke" I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at Valerie. "Do you smell that?" she asked quietly.

I inhaled through my nose, finding a sickening stench in the air.Rogues. "I just lost my appetite" I stated. Valerie nodded her head, slowly standing up. "Stay close. Mind-link Ashlyn. Ask her where she is" I demanded. I threw away the trash and walked away from the food court.

"She said she's leaving the food court bathrooms" Valerie informed me. We turned around, facing the bathrooms- where the scent was coming from. "Zeke. There's a lot of humans here" she whispered.