Chapter 36

Zeke

"Zeke!" Her tone was sharp, angry. I quickly turned to my mate, who looked like she wanted to punch me, but she wouldn't do that in front of Kenny. "He's showing you his drawing. Isn't it nice?" the words came out of clenched teeth.

I need to say the right thing. Shaking Chester and Simon from my thoughts, I looked at Kenny. In his hands was a single piece of paper with a small drawing made with markers. There was two blue stick figures, one tall, one small. There was one single pink figure with yellow hair. "It's me, you, and Valley" Kenny told me. His tone was soft.

I knew he must've repeated himself a few times before Valerie got me to pay attention. I instantly felt guilty. Instead of paying attention to him, I was anticipating Simon's arrival. He'll get here when he does. Thinking about it won't make him get here faster. "I love it, Kenny. How 'bout you go draw me another one while I talk to Valley" I suggested. He nodded his head, oblivious to the tension. He went to the living room for his drawing items.

Once the door closed, Valerie's hand swung out and slapped me. "Six times, Zeke. He repeated himself six times" she seethed. I frowned and kept quiet. There was nothing for me to say. "I get it. You have an obligation to this pack. This rogue thing is your job. But you have an obligation to Kenny. He wants to spend time with us. But it means nothing if you're spaced out"

Sighing, I placed my hands on her hips. She slightly relaxed at my touch. "I know. I'll pay attention. I promise" I told her softly. She sighed, resting her hands at the back of my neck. "What if I took you guys out for dinner tonight?" I offered. They won't show up with Simon tonight. I should relax.

Hesitantly, Valerie nodded her head in agreement. "I'll go get Kenny ready" she quickly pecked my lips before moving away from me.

"You have a beautiful family, Beta Kingsley" Doctor Pete told me as he stood in the back doorway. I nodded and thanked him. He would be staying in the packhouse for a week, so the other pack members could get used to him. Then, he would move into his clinic that is a half mile away from the house.

I could feel the doctor's curiosity about my family. "He's adopted" I blurted. Not completely true. We didn't do paperwork to have him adopted and all that stuff. Technically, Kenny is under our temporary care and protection until things are cleared up with Simon. Then we can find Hannah and he will be in her care. Pete wanted to further question me on the subject. I could tell he had no alternative motives. He was genuinely interested. But he didn't have a chance to asked his questions. My mate and Kenny came into the room with their shoes on, ready to go. "We can continue this conversation another day" I offered, looking at the doctor.

He nodded his head, then my small family walked to my car. "What do you guys wanna eat?" I questioned, pulling away from the packhouse. I did a quick scan of the forest, checking for any movement. But there was nothing. Relaxing, I continued to drive out of the territory.

"I want a burger" Valerie told me. I nodded my head and drove to the closest burger restaurant. Valerie glanced at me from the corner of her eye before she turned and spoke to Kenny. "How do you like living with us, Kenny?" she wondered. Random question.

Kenny's head snapped up as he stopped playing with his Ninja Turtle. "I really like it. You guys are nice" he stated, a small smile gracing his lips. Valerie glanced at me again. "Do you like me living with you?" Kenny inquired.

Valerie quickly nodded her head, glancing at me for the third time. "What?" I mind-linked her.

She turned away from Kenny, facing the dashboard again. "He's been here over a month. And I know he should be with Hannah. But maybe we can convince her to stay too" her voice was hesitant. We never really talked about Kenny's living situation. We both knew it wasn't permanent. But we acted as if it was.