Chapter Fourteen

}•{
Chapter Fourteen
}•{

I stared at myself in my mirror, my brown hair was braided to the side, my body dressed in a short laced black dress. I wore no makeup, because of the tears that I'd cry today.

Preston stood in the corner of my room, his face solemn as his baby rested in his arms. She wiggled in his grasp, touching his face. Gloria stood beside him, finding the courage to approach me. "We need to go before we're late."

I nodded, my lips pursed in a tight line as I grabbed my purse. It was packed with tissues and my phone. I followed behind them through the house, my parents waiting by the car dressed in black just like the rest of us. The funeral was being held at the church they went to, Candlelight Ministries.

The church was surrounded by people mourning their friend, boss, and family member. Sobs and angry huffs were heard as we walked up the steps and through the opened doors. He sanctuary was to the left, Preston pushed the door open after handing Gloria the baby. We all walked in as a group, my gaze landing on Hank, Connie, and Mrs. Lott. I made my way over to them, bending down to kiss Hank's cheek.

I was about to walk back to my family when Mrs. Lott grabbed my wrist. "Please, sit with us." She smiled sadly, her eyes pleasing me to be Hank's shoulder to cry on. I nodded, walking over and sitting next to Hank. Connie held her arms around her slightly bloated stomach, I averted my gaze to Hank.

He sat there, his eyes glaring at the casket that held his father. It was open, allowing us to see him one last time before he goes beneath the dirt. I slipped my hand into his, my touch brought him back to reality. He looked at me, relief flooding his expression. "I'm so happy you're here."

"Why wouldn't I be?" I whisper back, resting my head in his shoulder. He rested his head on top of mine, a sigh leaving his lips.

Once everyone was seated, Mrs. Lott made her way up to the podium. Her eyes scanning the dark crowd as she huffed. "After we have spoken about my husband, Pastor Henry Greene will come up at bless my love."

She nodded to herself and pulled a crumpled piece of paper from her pocket. Unfolding it, she cleared her throat and read it over. "I met John in high school, we hated each other back then." She chuckled, "It was when we walked into the same college classroom at Boise State University, did we actually speak to each other. He was nicer than in high school, offering to help me unpack and get comfortable in my dorm. We began to go on small dates, little this and that's that brought us closer."

"The summer of 1996 was when he got on One knees and opened a box with this ring inside of it." She held up her finger with a smile, "We got married the next year, and then brought Hank into the world a few years after that. Connie came after Hank, making us a happy, larger, family."

"I was married to him for 20 years," Mrs. Lott said, "And those two decades were the best damn years of my life."

A round of applause came from the crowd, Mrs. Lott nodded her head before clearing her throat once again. "If anyone would like to say something, please come up."

Hank stood, leaving me behind as he made his way up. Mrs. Lott walked down, taking a seat as her son stood behind that podium. He rubbed his throats before looking at me. He didn't bother looking out at the crowd as he started.

"My dad," his voice cracked briefly, his brows furrowing as he cleared his throat. "Was a great man, an even greater father, and a loving husband and friend. I remember the days he would call in sick at work just to spend the weekend with us, playing baseball with me, my sister, and my best friend, Kelsey, in the backyard. Mom would make us lemonade to keep us hydrated after hours in the sun."

He smiled, "I remember my first day in high school, he sat me down to give me the talk." Laughter followed his comment, ceasing as he continued. "He personally took me to school, risking being late for work just so he could wish me a good day." A tear rolled down his cheek as he averted his gaze. "I'll miss him so much, and.." he turned towards the casket. "I love you dad."

He stepped down and rushed back to the pew, sitting next to me he hid his head in my chest. I placed my hand on his head and ran my fingers through his hair. The funeral was long, full of tears, and sad words.

The cemetery was the same, tears rolling as the casket was lowered into the ground. The group stayed long after he had been buried, mourning the fact that he was gone forever. Hank kept his hand in my own during the whole thing, I was running late for my ultrasound, but I didn't say I word about it.

Finally, everyone solemnly began to disperse, Hank walking me over to his dad's car. He pulled open the passenger door for me before running around to get in his own. "If we can make it to the clinic in fifteen minutes, we won't miss your ultrasound." Hank said, his voice emotionless as he started the car and drove out of the cemetery.

The car ride was silent, his hands tightly gripping the steering wheel. "Hank," I whisper, placing my hand on his thigh. "It'll be alright."

"No it won't!" He shouted, not even looking at me. "It's not okay, it will never be okay. My dad is dead."

My heart ached for him, he pulled into the clinic's parking lot, parking quickly before getting out. I watched him pace in front of the car for a minute before I got out myself. I walked up to him, wrapping my arms around his abdomen. I squeezed him close, kissing his shoulder.

"Lets go see our baby." I murmur, looking up at him. He nodded his head, wrapping his arm around my shoulders as we began to walk towards the entrance.