vingt : unexpected

Hyerin's POV

God, time sure flies when I'm having fun. The field trip gave me so much fun and yet it ended very soon.

Now, I'm standing in the study hall as some freshmen were looking at their tests' results that are being sticked to the bulletin board.

I'm curious about our class's results now even though I wasn't able to take exam. I just want to see what will happen to Soojung's and Donghoon's ranks since Jin told me that he already sent the evidences to Red Hulk yesterday.

And I even got into trouble of getting the USB back, oh god. I didn't know that he had a copy of it. Now that I think back to that time, I felt so stupid.

But I don't mind because that was were we started.

I stopped thinking and grabbed my luggages in an attempt to walk to my class's bulletin board direction when suddenly I felt my head hit someone's shoulder.

  "I'm sorr-, not sorry." I changed my sentence immediately when I noticed that the person was Jin. Yes, Jin. My boyfriend.

  "Mwoyah? Why that face in the morning?" He dropped his stuffs on the floor and pinched my cheeks.

  "Aren't you curious even the slightest bit of your results?" I asked him and he stopped pinching my cheeks.

  "Oh, right. The results. Are they released now?" He asked me and I shrugged.

  "Let's go then." We walked to see another bulletin board. There, our classmates were standing in front of them looking at the results saying 'jinjja, I can't believe this.' and some said 'what on earth has happened.'

Jin and I looked at each other with eyes widened then we both shoved our ways past all of our friends.

1st  Kim Seok Jin
1st  Choi Hyerin
3rd Kim Namjoon
4th Jung Hoseok
5th Jung Haena
6th Min Yoongi

Oh my gosh, what on earth just happened? Am I dreaming? Is it true? What the hell is going on? I averted my eyes to look at the bottom of the paper that said,

Student Han Soojung and Ha Donghoon both have been disqualified and are now being punished according to the 20th school's rule of stealing teachers' exam papers.

Holy shit, finally. But why am I ranked the first again?

And with further investigation, we've found out that student Choi Hyerin is being accused of stealing the exam paper and she's being treated unfairly. We all know that she's the Class President and ranked the first consecutively so it's the same whether she takes the exam again or not.

I really can't believe this seriously. I really really can't believe this. Finally, we've made it. I bursted to tears in an instant as Jin ruffled my hair and giggled.

  "We've made it." He said and I just felt the urge of hugging him right now but I want to keep our PDA low, lol.

  "Seriously, I've come from 198th to 5th?!?!?" Haena yelled and everyone laughed at her for being so loud.

  "Daebak." Yoongi said then Namjoon and Hoseok started saying that this is unbelievable.

I looked at the clock and realized that it's almost time for the bus to arrive. Finally, we're going back to our homes. I miss my parents. I always have this nostalgic feeling whenever I'm far away from them.

  "Ya, stop smiling already. Let's go now." I smacked Jin's shoulder and grabbed my luggages.

  "Arrasso arrasso," He grabbed his stuffs and started following me. "Gomawo yo, Hyerin ah." He caught up to me and whispered to my ear. I think I just died.

                                 ••• 
I've finally arrived my home. I really can't wait to meet my parents. As I walked inside, some of the furnitures contain dust and they're mostly dirty.

The house remained silent and I couldn't see my father sitting on the armchair reading newspapers or mom peeling fruits for him.

I heard crying from my parents' room so I dropped my luggages instantly and opened the door slowly.

Mom is sitting on her bed with doctor suit on and she's covering her face with her palms, crying.

  "Eomma?" I said then she turned her face to look at me. She looks skinnier, her face looks paler and the dark circles around her eyes show clearly that she isn't getting enough sleep. Plus, her eyes are all swollen and it breaks me into pieces.

The worst feeling in the world is seeing my mom cries.

  "Oh, Hyerin ah. I'm sorry I couldn't go and get you from your school." She tried to sound normal as she wiped her tears away but her voice is cracking.

I went to sit beside her on a bed and hugged her. "Mom, what's wrong?" I tapped her back lightly as she cried on my shoulder.

  "I failed to protect a patient. She was diagnosed with lung cancer." She sobbed and I don't know why my tears start to fall down from my eyes endlessly.

  "Mom, it's okay. It's okay, mom. You did your best." I comforted her as she kept crying on my shoulder.

For a few minutes, she managed to stop and she broke the hug. "I'm okay, now. Thanks Hyerin." She said while wiping her tears away.

I smiled slightly, "by the way, where is dad?" I asked her.

  "I have no idea where he is." She stood up from her bed and sighed. "I figured that you're tired now so you can go to your room and rest." She patted my head and I nodded.

I left her room and went to my room. It's still clean and everything is at usual place. I put my stuffs aside and then I hopped on my bed, feeling extremely comfortable.

My stomach growls very loud just now so I sat down on my bed instead. I think I should go to a coffee shop nearby. I grabbed my jacket and dialed Jin. He isn't picking up so I just shrugged and told my mom that I'll be going to a coffee shop for a bit.

As I arrived, a bunch of ladies who are probably in their 30s or 40s went outside the shop so quickly that made me step to the other side to avoid being tripped over.

I shrugged then when I was about to go inside, I heard yelling from behind the shop. I took a peek and saw Soojung standing with a lady who's probably her mom. She was crying. I tried to eavesdrop.

  "... don't worry, let eomma handle this arrasso?" Her mom said, patting her head and I turned back quickly to my position because they're walking forward.

I let out a big sigh of relief and went inside instantly.

I wonder what happened.