Chapter 3

"What the fuck was that?" Luke demands.

I roll my eyes. So dramatic. "Luke, I had things under control. He would've shot me if I yelled or something."

"You could've made some indication that you were in trouble," he growls. "Instead, you just led us away."

I cross my arms over my chest in irritation. The only reason why he's mad is because he didn't get to shoot his gun today. Men are so fucking irritating. "We got him. Now shut the hell up and get in the car," Amy sighs.

Luke stomps away like a child, mumbling. Amy shakes her head then turns to me. "You two, I swear," she says rolling her eyes, smiling a little. "I'm just glad you're okay."

I give her a side hug as we slowly make our way to the car. "Me too. After we turn this guy in, I just wanna cuddle up on the couch and watch chick-flicks," I smile.

She grins. "Sounds good to me. Tonight I'm feeling doughnuts."

I nod. "We'll pick some up on the way."

After the long process of getting the criminal put in jail where he belongs, we get our money and leave. Amy begs Luke to stop so she can run in and get the doughnuts. She tells us to wait while she goes into the bakery. "I didn't see you at the party the other night. Did you come?" he asks after a long, awkward silence.

I lay my head back against the seat, looking up at the dark blue night sky. "I only stayed until midnight," I shrug.

I can feel his eyes on me but I choose to ignore him. "So you know what happened?"

Unfortunately, I think. I clear my throat. "Yeah."

He sighs. "I really want to tell you why but now's not the time. After the wedding -"

"A little birdie told me that you got her knocked up. I knew you were a whore but, seriously? In a bathroom?" I ask in disbelief. "That's not a good enough reason to jump into a marriage with someone."

His eyebrows furrow. "Who told you? And what I do is none of your business. I can do whatever I want. It seems like you always find something to bitch at me for. Just let me live my life."

"I bitch at you?" I snap. "I don't think so. I care about you more than you know and I think you're making a mistake."

He slams his fist down on the steering wheel. "That's the thing – I don't give a fuck about what you think."

His face is red with anger and I can't stand to look at him any longer. My heart beats rapidly in my chest. It feels like it could jump out at any moment. "Then maybe we shouldn't be friends," I say, my voice cracking.

Pushing the door open, I climb out. I slam the door shut, walking down the street. He doesn't follow and that's probably the best thing for both of us right now. We need space. The crosswalk signal turns red so I stop. My phone vibrates in my pocket and I quickly answer. "Hello?"

"Sweetheart?" The voice rings.

My eyes widen at the sound of the voice. It's the man from the party - the man that took me home and... "What can I do for you?" I ask awkwardly.

"I want to see you again," he says. "Instead of going straight to the bedroom like last time, I'd like to take you out for dinner."

I bite my lip. The crossing signal turns white and I begin walking. "Where are you?"

"Downtown. Where are you?"

I look up at the street signs. "I'm on the corner of Wheeler and Mason."

"You're walking?" he asks.

"Yeah. It's a long story," I sigh. This reminds me that I had plans with Amy. "Shit. I have plans tonight. I forgot about them - sorry."

"Don't apologize. Just stay where you are and I'll give you a ride home."

"It's fine. I can walk."

"I'm on my way," he says before hanging up.

Sighing, I slip my phone back into my pocket. I still don't even know this mans name but the way he makes me feel is weird... in a good way, though. I like him but he's older than me. It changes things, I guess.

His black Audi stops in front of me after a long moment. Climbing out of the car, he makes his way around. He leans in to kiss me but I turn slightly. His lips press gently against my cheek before he opens the door for me. I climb in and he closes the door. After climbing in, he begins driving. "How are you?" he asks.

"I'm okay." After a moment, I continue. "How about you?"

He rubs his hand along his jawline. "Fine. I've been thinking about you ever since the other night. Will you allow me to take you out for dinner?"

I eye him carefully. "If I agree, can this whole thing stop?"

"Whole thing?"

I sigh. "Infatuation – that's what this is. You'll be over it before you know it."

Taking it as a challenge, his eyes return to the road. "We'll see."

He pulls into my driveway where Luke's car is. They're not in the car so they're probably lounging on the couch. Great friends. "Thanks for the ride," I say reaching for the handle.

"I'd love to give you another one." A small smile forms on my lips. "Dinner Saturday at eight? I'll pick you up."

I nod. "That's fine."

He grabs my hand and I bite my lip. The corners of his mouth tug upwards and his eyes darken. "You're so sexy," he murmurs. "Feel what you do to me."

He pulls my hand to his lap, placing it on his lap between his legs. His erection is hard against my hand and I remember the way he felt just the other night. A moan purrs in the back of my throat and I hold my legs together tightly. Without thinking, I rub my hand against him. He groans. "Sweetheart, if you do that again, I'm gonna have to take you right here."

I raise an eyebrow before moving my hand again. He leans in quickly, pressing his lips to mine. I hear the click of his seat belt coming undone and I follow suit. He pulls me onto his lap so I'm straddling over him. His lips move down to my neck, sucking violently. "I still don't even know your name," I say, breathing hard.

"I'll tell you over dinner," he says, leaning his head back.

I snake my fingers around to the back of his neck, lacing my fingers together. "If you tell me right now, I'll invite you in," I smile.

He looks around me. "It looks like you have company."

I shrug. "Just two of my best friends."

He shakes his head. "I'll tell you over dinner. It'll give you something else to look forward to."

"Something else?"

He smirks. "Well, the sex too, of course."

I laugh. "Okay. You're picking me up at eight on Saturday, right?"

"Yeah."

"What should I wear?" I ask.

He hums. "Nothing would be great."

I chuckle. "You'd love that."

He smiles. "I'll have a dress sent over."

I frown. "What if I don't like it?"

"What if you do?" he counters.

I sigh. "Fine. I'll see you this weekend."

"Bye, sweetheart."

I kiss him once more before getting out of the car. This should be interesting.

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow