Chapter 6

The man I met at the bar drove me home that night. His name was Spencer. We exchanged numbers then he was on his way. He actually seemed like a decent guy for once. Maybe things will change for me now.

The next morning I am woken up by the sound of my phone ringing. Things fall off my nightstand as I search for my phone. Reaching further, I fall off my bed, only to find my phone on the floor among other things. Groaning, I answer it. "This better be good."

"Did I wake you?" Luke asks cautiously. "I can let you go."

"I'm awake now," I yawn. "What's up?"

"Since Jennifer is gonna be very busy this week preparing for the wedding, she won't have much free time to hang out with you and Amy."

I sigh in relief then quickly add, "That's too bad."

"Fortunately, she's free today around noon. So get Amy up and around and meet her at the address I text you."

I frown, not wanting any part of this. "Okay. Tell her we'll be there by noon."

"Alright. And Juliet?"

"Yeah?"

"This means a lot to me. Thank you," he says.

I'm glad he's happy - even if it isn't with me. We say our goodbyes then I wake Amy. "What?" She groans.

"Luke just called. We're meeting up with his fiancé at noon," I roll my eyes.

"No." She says rolling over.

"Come on, Amy. This means a lot to him. He sounded so happy on the phone."

She grumbles something into her pillow before sitting up. "Fine. But I'm not doing my makeup."

Smirking, I walk towards the door. "Good. Maybe you'll scare her off."

"Ha. Ha," she flips me off as she laughs sarcastically.

Our friendship is great. Amy never leaves the house without makeup so I don't know who she's kidding. Luke texts me the address so we both drive to the location. "A nail salon?" Amy frowns. "This is boring already."

I shrug. "At least we can leave after our nails dry."

We make our way inside where she is waiting next to the counter. "Jennifer?" Amy asks.

She turns to us with a big smile. "You guys must be Luke's best friends. I can't believe I finally get to meet you."

Finally? She only met him over a month ago. He proposed two weeks ago. I don't like this woman already. Amy nudges me, bringing me back to reality. "I'm Juliet."

"Luke's told me so much about you," she smiles. "He said you're like his sister."

Talk about friend zone. If things would've gone differently on new years, I would've made a fool of myself. He thinks of me as a sister and I wanted nothing more to be in Jennifer's shoes. But that was before Jennifer. Before Jake, adds my conscience. Things have changed. "I'm Amy."

"Nice to meet you. I'm getting my nails done for the wedding and Luke suggested you guys come. I'll pay for you guys to get yours done for the wedding too."

"We can pay -"

"For the wedding?" I ask. "Isn't it a little too soon for that?"

She furrows her eyebrows. "No. It's this weekend. Luke didn't tell you?"

"No. What day is it?"

"Saturday," she replies.

Well damn. That happened quick. We sit in the chairs, kicking our shoes off. Our feet soak in the warm bubbling water as women paint our nails. Eventually, they begin working on our toes. I leave the building with red nails. "Thanks for inviting us, Jennifer. It was nice meeting you," I say.

"You too. I'll see you both on Saturday."

We wave goodbye before heading separate ways. Amy tells me she's going to a friends house before hugging me goodbye. When I get to the car, my phone begins ringing. "Hello?"

"Hey, Juliet. It's Spencer."

I smile. "Hey."

"I was wondering if you'd want to grab something to eat later."

I run my fingers through my hair. It's been a while since I've seen my family so I planned on seeing them today. "Actually, I have plans with my family already. Can I take a rain check?"

He chuckles. "Of course. I'll talk to you soon."

"Okay. Bye."

When I get to my parents house, I sink further into my seat at the familiarity of it. This is my home. The one place I grew up in. I go inside where my parents are sitting at the table playing cards with my aunt and uncle. Change is sprawled out on the table and they stare intently at their cards. "Five."

"Burn."

"Shit."

I laugh, gaining their attention. "Juliet!" my mother grins.

She stands up, quickly making her way over to me. I give her a heartwarming hug and she kisses my cheek. "Grab a beer and have a seat. You can join next game," she says.

I nod, walking to the fridge as they continue their game. After kissing my father's cheek, I make my way to my seat next to my mother. She shuffles the cards and I raise an eyebrow. "What game are we playing?" I ask.

"Your favorite - screw your neighbor," she smiles.

My dad pushes three quarters my way and I smile. My mother passes each person a card then sets the stack in front of her. We all look at our cards and I grin, flipping the king over in front of me. "I hate playing this game with you," my mom chuckles.

My aunt passes her husband her card then glances at the new one, frowning. After everyone's turn, they flip their cards. Shaking her head, my aunt pushes a quarter into the jackpot. By the time that game is done, I have everybody's three quarters. It was a pretty good night. My aunt and uncle go home around ten, leaving me with my parents. This is when they bring up Luke...

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow