Chapter 18

"Happy birthday, sweetie."

"Thanks, mom. I miss you guys," I say with a small smile.

"We miss you too, honey."

"How is dad doing?" I ask.

"Okay," she sighs. "We still have a little over three weeks to go so it's hard to tell how things are going to turn out but I am hopeful."

I look down at my feet. "I'm hoping for the best. He needs to come home so I can see you guys."

"We're working on it honey," she says. "You go out and have a good day. You deserve it."

"Okay. I'll call you tomorrow. Love you."

"Love you too," she replies before hanging up.

"We're almost there," Luke says from beside me.

He woke me up really early this morning and made me shower and get dressed so we could go out for my birthday. We went out for breakfast then went shopping in the mall. Then we went out for lunch and now we're on our way to somewhere new. Usually Amy would be with us but we still haven't talked since I was in Clearwater with Jake. In fact, I haven't even seen her since before I left.

After a long while, we pull up to a bright orange building. My eyes scan over the words. "Sky Jump?" I ask in disbelief.

"Yeah. Since I can't spoil you with dinner, I'm gonna spoil you with childish activities," he grins.

He climbs out of the car and opens my door. "I think I'm a little too old for this," I chuckle.

"You're never too old for Sky Jump," he says, dragging me into the building.

He goes and pays while I take off my shoes. This place is covered in trampolines and bounce houses. Even the walls are hidden with trampolines. I've only been here a few other times with Amy and Luke. It's quiet without Amy...

"Ready?" Luke asks.

"Yeah," I nod.

We spend the rest of our time together being childish and jumping on the trampolines, playing dodgeball with strangers, and jumping into the pit. We played basketball and I won ten to six. He was pretty upset.

"So what's up with you and Amy? She really wouldn't say," he says as we walk out to the car.

I sigh. "She doesn't approve of the guy I'm seeing."

"Why? What's wrong with him?" he asks, opening the car door for me.

"Thanks," I say, getting in. "And it's a long story."

He closes the door then gets in on the drivers side. He waits until he begins driving before continuing our conversation. "There has to be a reason. What is it?" he asks.

"You'll know soon enough, Luke."

He smiles. "Does that mean I get to meet him?"

I chuckle. If only he knew that he already knows him. "Maybe."

He smiles. "Good. I need to know if I'm gonna have to kick his ass." I laugh a bit harder then necessary. "What? Why are you laughing?"

"I don't think you could take him... and even if you could, you wouldn't want to."

He furrows his eyebrows in confusion. "Why? Does he look like the Incredible Hulk or something?"

I shake my head. "Enough with the questions. I'll introduce you two someday."

He mumbles something but continues driving. When we get to my house, he wishes me a happy birthday. Giving him a hug, I thank him once more. We go our separate ways and I begin getting ready for my date with Jake.

I wear a cute black dress that goes mid-thigh with black heels. After curling my hair, I pin it away from my face. As I'm fixing up my makeup, Amy appears in the mirror behind me. In her hands, she holds a medium sized box that's wrapped with a bow on top. "Happy birthday," she says, an apologetic smile on her face. "I'm really sorry about the other day."

Turning my attention back to my makeup, I continue fixing up my makeup. "What made you change your mind?"

"Luke and I were talking. He said he could tell you were happy. He can't wait to meet him," she says looking down at the gift. "I don't expect you to forgive me right away but know I'm really sorry. I'll leave this on your bed."

She leaves before I can say anything. Shaking it off, I continue my makeup. Moments later, Jake is behind me with a bouquet of roses. "Happy birthday, beautiful."

I smile, looking at him from over my shoulder. "Thank you. They're beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as you," he smiles. "You look great."

He places the flowers on the counter then sets his hands on my hips. "So do you," I reply.

He's wearing a suit with a black tie. Pulling me against his chest, he showers my neck with kisses. "Are you almost ready?" he asks between kisses.

"If you don't stop kissing me, we'll never get out," I chuckle.

"I'd be okay with that if it wasn't your birthday but the occasion causes for dinner first," he smirks.

I roll my eyes. "How romantic. I'm going to put these in water then we can go," I say, grabbing to roses.

Amy is sitting in the living room and she stands when she sees us. "Do you want me to put those in water for you?" he asks.

"Yes, please," I nod. "Thank you."

"No problem. Have fun."

She gives Jake a half-hearted smile before walking away with the roses. Jake places his hand on the small of my back and leads me outside. After opening and closing the car door for me, he gets in the drivers seat. "Where are we going?" I ask.

Glancing over at me, he smiles. "It's a surprise."

Placing my hand on his thigh, I lean back and smile. I have been looking forward to this night since we got off the phone the other day. I know he'll make sure it's special.

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow