Chapter 8

When I wake up, there's a text from Spencer and Luke. I read Luke's first.

The soonest I could get you in for a dress fitting is today at noon. Is that good?
-Luke

I send back a quick reply saying it's good. Moments later, my phone pings with a text saying he'll pick me up. Next, I read Spencer's text.

Wanna go out for lunch today?
-Spencer

Of course it's the same day is the dress fitting. I debate for a long moment before dialing his number. After a few rings, he answers. "Hello?"

"Hey. I really want to go to lunch with you -"

"But?" he sighs.

"But my friend is getting married on Saturday and my dress fitting is today at noon," I explain.

"Dinner then?" he asks.

I think for a moment. "How about... you pick me up from the dress shop and we can go from there," I suggest.

"Sounds good to me. Just text me the address."

"Okay. See you later."

"Bye."

After hanging up, I get dressed. It doesn't take long for Luke to drive us to the dress shop. I ask him about the wedding but he just shrugs. He told Jennifer to take care of everything. Typical guy.

He tells the lady behind the counter what color Jennifer chose then she waves us back. I'm standing on the pedestal wearing I lavender floor-length dress when the bell sounds. Spencer walks in with a smile on his face. "Your early," I say.

He shrugs. "Only like five minutes early. I kind of wanted to see you in that dress anyways."

I blush slightly, looking down at the purple dress. "Well... do you like it?"

He smiles. "You look beautiful."

Luke clears his throat, reminding us of his presence. "Who are you?" he asks after an awkward silence.

"Spencer," he replies, holding out his hand.

"Luke," Luke responds, reluctantly shaking it.

"Luke is my best friend - the one who's getting married this weekend," I explain.

Spencer chuckles, making Luke furrow his eyebrows. "What's so funny?" he demands.

Spencer shakes his head. "Nothing. I was just afraid I had competition but in reality your just one less guy I have to worry about."

I'm shocked but I thought it was funny so I bend over in laughter. There's only one other guy he'd ever have to worry about.

Why do I always think about Jake?

No matter what I'm doing, my mind always drifts back to Jake. A huge part of me kind of misses seeing him. But another part of me remembers Luke and it changes things. Sometimes I wish things were different. "Juliet. Are you okay?" Spencer says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

My eyes widen and I shake away my thoughts. "Yeah. Sorry," I say, turning to Luke with a smile. "It's perfect. I'm gonna change and go with Spencer."

"Okay." Luke nods.

After changing back into my normal clothes, I hug Luke goodbye. "I'll see you Saturday."

"The rehearsal is tomorrow though," Luke frowns.

I place my hands on my hips. "All I have to do is walk down the aisle. Don't worry about a thing, Luke. It'll be great."

He nods. "Okay. They'll show you who to stand by. "

"Okay. Ready?" I ask Spencer.

He nods and heads for the door. When we're in the car, he glances at me while he's driving. "I don't think he likes me," he says with a small smile on his lips.

I raise an eyebrow. "Why do you say that?"

He shrugs a shoulder. "He glared at me the whole time you were changing. It was pretty awkward."

I smile. "He's protective over me and Amy. We grew up together so I guess you could say he's like my brother."

That's weird saying that but if he thinks of me as a sister, then what the hell. "Oh. Well I was going to take you to my friends warehouse. He uses it as a party place mostly but there's a loft upstairs. Anyways, there's a lake out back. I figured we could grab some dinner and watch the sun set."

I nod. "That's fine."

After an hour drive, he stops at a take-out place for our dinner. Another half hour passes and we arrive at the warehouse. He shows me the inside which looks like a typical club you'd see in movies or in big cities.

There is a bar along each wall - fully stocked. At each end are tables and couches. He takes me to the next level labeled the 'V.I.P. Area'. The couches are black leather with glass end tables beside them. There are several poles located around the room. There is another bar up here along with more doors.

He chooses the door beside the bar and leads me upstairs to the loft. Everything is modern. Mostly black and white with a splash of blood red here and there. The appliances are stainless steel; the fabric hanging on the windows and the sheets on the bed are silk. Whoever owns this place is living a good life. "Do you come here often?" I ask.

He shrugs a shoulder. "Not really. I usually just come whenever he needs help running things. He's independent for the most part."

"Most part?" I repeat in confusion.

He sighs. "He's a complicated man. It's hard to explain. Shall we go down to the lake now?"

I nod, noticing the quick change of subject.

The lake is beautiful. We sit at the picnic table, facing the lake. We don't really talk until after we've eaten. "What do you do for a living?" I ask.

"I'm a business man," he smiles.

I scrunch my nose. "You mean one of those annoying guys who goes door-to-door trying to sell you stuff?"

He chuckles, scratching the back of his neck. "No. I promote new things."

"What do you mean?"

He takes a sip of his drink before continuing. "People who create things and sell mostly on websites hire people like me to go to different corporations to promote their business and get it onto their shelves."

I nod in understanding. "Ah, I see. Does it pay good?"

He nods. "Yeah."

A long moment passes as we just stare at the setting sun. After a moment, I feel his burning gaze on me. "What?"

He smiles. "Nothing."

I playfully smack his arm. "Tell me."

He rubs the back of his neck. "We're adults so I'm just gonna say it. I like you and I want to know if you like me."

I smile. "If I didn't like you, I wouldn't be sitting here, Spencer."

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow

Things will get a little more interesting in the next few chapters. We'll see more of Amy, a lot of Spencer, and, of course, Jake :D

Read on, my friends.