Chapter 25

Jake and I haven't seen each other since the appointment. We've texted a lot since then but we haven't actually been together. Tonight something is different. A weird sort of depression sets in and I can't help but call Jake. He answers on the second ring. "Juliet. Is everything okay?" Jake asks, concern edging his voice.

"Yeah. Everything's fine," I say softly. "Can you come over?"

"Of course."

"The door's unlocked. You can let yourself in."

"Okay. I'll be there soon," he says. "I love you."

"I love you too," I reply before hanging up.

Laying on my back, I push my shirt up and place my hands flat on my stomach. I long to feel the baby kick inside me. I can't wait to hold my baby for the first time.

Jake appears in the doorway after a while. We stare at each other for a long moment until he eventually makes his way over to me. Leaning down, he pecks my lips lightly. "Lay with me," I say quietly.

He shrugs off his jacket and throws it on my chair. Circling the bed, he lays beside me. His body conforms to mine and he wraps his arm around me. "Are you okay?" he asks.

"I don't know," I say honestly.

"I miss you," he says.

I turn my body so I'm facing him. "I miss you too."

"Tell me what's wrong," he says.

I shrug a little. "I don't know. I was just feeling a little down today. Since I've started dating you, I haven't worked. Most of my time has been spent with you. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with you but being alone made me realize that I have nothing to do."

"You can just spend time with me," he suggests.

"I know but you have to go to work which will just leave me all alone again. What am I supposed to do with all this free time?" I ask.

"Find us a house," he says. "All I need is an office for work, a garage for our cars, and a few bedrooms for us and our babies."

I bite my lip in thought. "You really want me to move in with you, don't you?"

"Of course. I don't know how many times I have to tell you. You're the only one for me," he says exasperated. "I wish you felt the same way."

"Babe, I do," I say, placing my hand on his cheek. "I'm just scared."

He furrows his eyebrows. "Why?"

"Because I'm afraid of losing you," I admit. "Every guy I have ever been with has left me and I don't want to lose you."

"You're never gonna lose me," he whispers. "But this is my child too. I want to be there for them. All I ask of you is to look for some houses right now. Pick out the perfect one for us."

"I love you," I breathe.

"I love you too," he smiles.

Pulling him closer, I press my lips to his.

**************************

Jake stays at my house a few times over the week but some nights he works so late that I'm already sleeping by the time he gets done. I've been looking for houses online since we've talked about it but today he took the day off to hire a realtor to show us around.

When a car pulls up to the house, Jake and I step outside. A man steps out of the car and shakes both of our hands. "I'm Gavin. It's a pleasure meeting you two."

"I'm Jake and this is Juliet," Jake says, introducing us.

He nods. "Shall we get going?"

Jake opens the back door and I get in. He sits in front with Gavin and the car begins moving. "Based on the things you've told me you wanted in a house, I found two that have these things. The first one is in your price range but the second one is a little over."

"What's different between the two?" Jake asks.

"Well, the first one doesn't have a big yard. There's a pool in the backyard but there's no room for anything else," Gavin explains.

"Once I'm in a house I don't want to move again. I want it to big enough for our family," I say. "There needs to be a backyard so the baby can play when he or she grows up."

Jake nods. "I agree. Just skip the first one and go to the second one."

Gavin nods and we change direction.

The house is huge. There's two stories and it's beautiful on the outside. Before going in, Gavin takes us to the backyard. There's a lanai with a pool with a screen door leading into the fenced in back yard. It's big enough for a child to play in. On the side of the house is a three car garage which Jake absolutely loves.

Next, we go inside the house. The floors are wooden and the house is just as beautiful inside as it is on the outside. There are four bedrooms and an office with French doors. Besides the master bathroom, there are two other bathrooms - one upstairs with the bedrooms and the other on the main floor. The kitchen is amazing. The counter-tops are granite and the wooden cupboards are a dark cherry color.

Gavin gets a phone call and excuses himself, leaving Jake and I alone. We go upstairs into the master bedroom and step out onto the balcony overlooking the backyard. He circles his arms around my waist and gently pulls me back against his chest. Setting his chin on my shoulder, he presses a light kiss to my neck. "Do you like it?"

"I love it," I admit. "It's too much, though. It must cost a fortune."

"Don't worry about money. That's something you'll never have to worry about with me. I know my limits."

"Do you like it?" I ask.

"I love it. I think it's perfect for us."

I smile. "When can we move in?"

He chuckles. "I have to sign the papers first, babe."

"I was thinking... when we move in, maybe we can throw a party for the occasion and announce I'm pregnant. We'll invite everyone," I suggest.

"That sounds great. I'll tell Gavin we'll take it."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow