Seven

For the rest of our road trip, we adventured back up north of California

For the rest of our road trip, we adventured back up north of California. We only had two days left, so we figured that if we worked our way in the direction of home, it'd just correlate to wherever else we'd like to go.

I know it's odd, driving this way and that, in opposite directions each time as if we were lost and confused with our directions. In a way, we kind of were. Niall and I purposely didn't plan ahead about the places we wanted to go, so it made sort of a mess in itself. That's the whole point though, and in the end, I'd like to think it was successful.

We traveled three hours to Fresno from LA, and there, we visited the zoo. Niall teased me about the animals, comparing my physical features to every one that cared to walk close enough to us for our viewing pleasure. There was even a safari ride and while we rode it, Niall pointed to a hippopotamus soaking in a pool of mud.

"Look, Kaya, it's y—" He started, and I bopped him on the head before he could finish. He just laughed.

After the zoo, we went out to dinner and then stayed in a hotel for the night. We'd left the next afternoon, and it took another three hours until we arrived in San Francisco. 

Obviously, we took pictures with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background, and it was one of the biggest and coolest things I'd ever seen. We then explored the city and we even found the exact streets from The Princess Diaries where the roads winded in steep hills. I loved those movies, so it was really breathtaking seeing it all in person.

Niall and I ran all over town and took pictures everywhere. You could make a montage of all the laughing and smiling moments of us that day, as we rented bicycles and even rode a trolley. We'd done almost everything couple tourists do, and in the nighttime, we had to call the end to our wonderfully-made spontaneous road trip.

It began to rain on our drive back home, but gratefully, Sacramento was only an hour and a couple minutes away. I got a bit cold, so I draped a blanket from the back over me as I made myself comfortable in the passenger seat.

The windshield wipers were on, fighting away the raindrops pattering on the glass. The road ahead of us was endless and the dark night had rolled in. 

Niall had some soft, 80s vibe music playing and I had never felt more calm. I started to reminisce on the things we had done in the past week, and frankly, it had passed by so quickly that it all seemed like a happy unimaginable dream.

I watched Niall sing along quietly as he drove, and I remembered him smiling at me before I fell asleep.

...

"Babe... babe," Gentle hands shake my shoulder and I open my eyes. Niall's the first thing I see. "We're here." 

I look around me, and sure enough, we're parked inside his garage.

Whoa. That didn't even feel like an hour. I swear I only slept for five minutes.

"What time is it?" I groggily ask, feeling dazed and confused.