Nine

I hadn't stepped outside in a few days and because of that, the sudden hotness prickles my skin and I remember why I had been confining myself indoors

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I hadn't stepped outside in a few days and because of that, the sudden hotness prickles my skin and I remember why I had been confining myself indoors. The air is scorching hot and it feels almost like the sun above is lighting my hair ablaze.

Yup, this is the middle of summer, I think to myself. I've barely stood in my backyard for two minutes when I can already feel my armpits moisten from sweat. 

Right, no no no. I turn around and retreat back into my home, remaining at the closed glass door to gape outside. At least I can say that I went out, right?

In the midst of my sentimental outside staring, my doorbell rings and I lurch forward on my feet.

"Is that Niall?!" I shout across the house, hoping my voice was loud enough to reach my mom in the living room.

I get no response for an unusual amount of time so I presume my mom is in the process of checking our big window. 

Finally, she does answer with, "No! I don't know who this man is but he looks familiar!"

Obviously, that catches my attention and my eyebrows thread together in pure curiosity. I pick myself up from my spot and will to the door, glancing at my confused mom quickly before getting on my tippy toes to look through the peephole.

Oh.

It's Zayn. Wholly in his tatted skin and sharp black hair.

"It's my friend." I mutter to my mother before I grasp the knob and open the door, instantly being faced with his strong cologne and a nervous closed smile. "Hey, Zayn?"

The boy patters his feet and looks behind me, as if he's in trouble and needs to hide. "Oh, thank God. I know you're probably mad at me too but please hear me out, Liam and Cady won't talk to me at all and you're the only one in the group I have left. And I—"

"Wait wait," I stop him, waving my hand in front of me. "Slow down, what're you talking about?"

Zayn sort of relaxes. "What, they didn't tell you?"

"Liam and Cady? No. They dodge the subject when I try to bring you up."

"Ah," The boy nods, folds his lips together and points inside my house. "May I come in?"

"Oh yeah yeah, of course." I pull the door completely open and step aside, allowing Zayn the convenience of my home. He walks in and I close the door, and he waves at my mom before I introduce him.

"This is Zayn, you know him." I say aloud and my mom scans the dark boy.

"Right, yes, hello." She says, which Zayn politely bows his head to. My mom gets up and begins to stride away with her book. "I'll let you guys in here, do you want a drink, Zayn?"

I walk forward and sit on the couch, Zayn following and sitting two cushions away.

"Um, no thank you, ma'am." Zayn shyly shakes his head.