Sixteen

Hey there Niall-li-lah, what's it like in Australia? I'm a thousand miles away but boy, tonight you look so pretty, yes you do

Hey there Niall-li-lah, what's it like in Australia? I'm a thousand miles away but boy, tonight you look so pretty, yes you do... California can't shine as bright as you. I swear, it's true...

It's crazy how the other half of me was here just seventeen hours ago. Now he's on the other side of my phone screen, somewhere in a country oceans and oceans away.

He looks tired. There are weary dark bags under his eyes that drag his whole face down. Even his hair is disheveled. To me, he couldn't look any more beautiful.

"Jet lag is gonna kill me, I already know it." Niall chuckles, his voice groggy. "It's past midnight here and I've just arrived." He flips his camera to the back side, showing me his surroundings. He's walking around an airport.

"How was the flight?" I shift in bed to lay on my stomach.

"It was alright. I couldn't get any sleep though, talk about crazy turbulence."

The camera finally flips back to him, and I get a low angle from under his chin. I'm looking up his nostrils and I silently laugh to myself.

"Whoa, hey, isn't it like 8 in the morning there?" Niall says while he keeps walking. "How are you awake, princess? You would be sleeping right now."

I stayed up all night because I couldn't stop thinking about him, but he doesn't need to know that. So instead, I fake a giggle and smile at him.

"I... I just woke up early to see you. I didn't want to miss your arrival."

Niall laughs and it sounds just as sweet on the phone. "Aww." He stops his stride and puts the camera to a perfect angle to his face. "Listen, I gotta go through customs and security shit. So I'll let you go for now, babe."

I sigh. "Alright. Good luck."

"I'll call you when I get settled in my parents' place, okay?"

"Okay."

"Sweet kisses, princess. Love you."

I pucker my lips to the camera after him. "Love you, too."

Niall smiles at the camera one more time before he disconnects the video call. Shortly after, I'm faced with a black screen and a startling silence. It strikes me again, that sudden emptiness I'd felt when I watched him walk away. When I realized that I just screwed everything up. I regret telling him to go.

I regretted it the minute he basically proposed to me last night. I regretted all the things I said, how I said that I wanted to lessen my love for him. Because him proposing to me means that he's never planning to leave me. How could I be so stupid? Why did I think that he'd ever choose to leave me?

Ugh. I turn to lay on my back and stare at the ceiling again. Birds are chirping outside, singing their early morning tunes and it's pissing me off. They can't be happy right now.