Fifteen

(Warning: Smut! You'll know when it happens 😉)

N

Three and a half years ago, I had just gotten home from a week long school trip and was jumping out of a loud, yellow school bus. I was fresh into high school at the age of fifteen, so I had my braces and my hair was so long it covered my ears and swept over my eyes. It was the Justin Bieber shag and it was cool at the time, so.

Plus, I was a big JB fan. I could never go wrong by pulling out my acoustic guitar and singing One Time or Baby to impress the ladies. It almost always worked.

Anyhow, seeing as I was pretty young back then, I was definitely happier and more carefree about life. My smiles were the biggest they'd ever been and my laughter carried a unique chime. I hadn't woken up about the world yet, hadn't learned about the bad people or the shit the world was going through.

I had nothing to worry about and I had always been pretty laid-back in school. I kept myself out of drama and nothing really bothered me. Sure, I only had one real friend, but he was all I ever needed. He was Louis, and he was the older guy who always had my back in times of need. He still is.

(Well, when he isn't ditching me.)

I was happy Niall then. Just me, my big white-toothed smile, and my carefree skinny self.

That Friday, I had just gotten back from a trip to Anaheim. I was in a leadership club and we had to compete, so we stayed in a nice hotel for a whole week. So when I got back home, I was full of stories and achievements that I had obtained from the trip.

Excitement was the only emotion bubbling in my stomach when I imagined what my mom would say when I told her about it all. How proud she would be when I showed her the medal I got for taking 1st place.

As I basically hopped my way to my front door, I could hear someone else's steps nearby and it just occurred to me that she had also jumped off the bus after I did. It was Kaya, my next door neighbor, and she was willing herself to her house as well.

My chin met my shoulder as I turned to watch her walk by, a smirk hitching on my lips at the same time. I thought about yelling something dirty just to annoy her, but I thought better of it since she hated me enough as it was.

She caught my stare and instantly pulled on a disgusted face. I just scoffed. I thought she was cute. She hated me then, and I liked her in an annoyingly weird way. We had no idea how much things would change for us in a few years time.

When I unlocked my front door and entered my home, I was suddenly hit with an eerie feeling. The house was quiet and empty. It was never like that when I got home every day after school; my dad was usually in the living room watching a soccer game while my mom occupied herself in the kitchen, banging pots and pans together to prepare supper.

Not that day.

"Mom?" I yelled into the house, still holding the doorknob behind me. "Dad?" I threw my backpack to the floor and crept deeper inside. "Hello? Is anyone home?"