0.1 | Looking For A Place

Sapphire

"Another business trip?" I ask, setting down my toast on a plate as I get the news.

My father gives me a sad smile. "I'm afraid so, sweetie. This is the longest trip I will take compared to the others. It's really important." He tells me, sipping on his coffee. "I would take you, but you still have school to attend and transferring schools is not a choice for you since it's already your senior year."

"Anything but that." I sigh, moving my eggs around distractedly. "How long?"

"At most?"

"Yeah."

"Three months."

I drop my fork as I hear those two words leave his mouth. "That's two entire months added to your usual trips."

"I know," he sighs, setting his coffee down on the table. "It's a long project, you have to understand."

I don't have much of a choice.

"Yeah, okay."

"That's my girl." He encourages and I give him a fake smile. I've mastered it by now.

"Where will I stay?" I finally manage to ask after a few moments of silence. "I mean, I don't want to stay here on my own for three entire months, I'm afraid I'll lose my social life." I explain.

"You still have three days to ask one of your friends if you can stay at their house." He suggests, picking up his coffee again and taking another sip. "Plus, you can't lose your social life by living on your own."

"Natalie moved, Amber has a full house, and Gloria has enough problems with her grandma being sick." I say, taking a drink from my orange juice. "And trust me, I will sleep in all day if I'm on my own."

"Better for me, you'll stay out of trouble."

I roll my eyes, "Seriously, dad. It's so depressing living on my own. I can barely manage one month, I'll get bored to death by the second month."

"Can't Amber come live with you while I'm gone?" He inquires with a raised brow.

I shake my head with a frown, knowing I'm running out of options. "She has to look after her siblings."

"You can always try looking for a place to rent, if they even accept you as a minor." He suggests.

"I'm desperate, I barely have a social life as it is. I'll start searching online." I tell him before getting up from my seat and going up to my room.

"Wait, you barely touched your food!" He calls out to me and I stop at the top of the stairs.

"I'm not hungry!" I call back and continue to make my way to my room.

I sit on my bed, opening up my laptop and start searching up places to rent nearby.

* * * *

I let out a frustrated groan as I shut my laptop and fall back on my bed.

"Right when I find the perfect place, they ask for my age." I mutter to myself, annoyed. "I'll be eighteen next month for goodness sake!"

"You okay in there?" My father questions, peeking his head into my room and I sit up to look at him. "Any luck?"

"No."

"Is it about your age?"

"Yes," I huff, running my fingers through my hair. "Why is it such a big deal? I'm just one month away from being eighteen, for Christ's sake!" I fall flatly on my back as I let out another huff.