2.3 | Halloween

Sapphire

"Okay take a good look. This one or..."

I wait patiently while Amber goes back into the dressing room to try on the next costume. Halloween is just around the corner and—as always—Amber is doing some last-minute shopping.

The store barely has any costumes left. It's clear to see that all the good ones are gone. All that's left are cops—not the sexy ones—ancient vampire slayers, a variety of animal ears and tails and plenty of miscellaneous accessories.

Amber, the sharp-eyed one, somehow found a few gems in the pile of unwanted costumes. Only problem with that is that the girl who saw her pick out a sexy nun costume is watching the dressing room she's in with narrowed eyes. Apparently they both reached for it at the same time and had to argue for fourteen minutes and twenty seconds for it. Yes, I counted.

Amber only won because she lied, saying that her boyfriend is dressing as her priest. Still, the girl is following us around. Probably hoping she'll change her mind and leave it behind so she can snatch it for herself.

I'm just disappointed that I'm friends with someone who would want to be a sexy nun. Why is it even an option?

To my dismay, that's exactly the one she's wearing as she comes out of the dressing room.

"What do you think?" She asks with a twirl.

"You already know, I hate it."

She scoffs, looking down at herself. "What's so bad about it?"

"Everything."

The eye roll looks playful, but I can tell she's a little offended. "Hater."

"Well, I think it looks great on you." The girl decides to speak up, catching both of our attention. She's smiling weakly. "That's a good choice in my book." With a defeated sigh, she stands up from her seat and begins to walk away.

I give Amber a pointed look. "You know you don't have a priest boyfriend. Let the girl have it. I prefer the fallen angel one anyway. I'll even agree to match and dress as an angel."

"You'd do that?" She beams.

I sigh, nodding. "Yeah. Just please get rid of that thing."

"Deal."

I watch from my spot as she chases after the girl, telling her that she could have the costume once she takes it off. The girl grins, following her back towards the dressing room. She takes a seat next to me, smiling brightly as we wait for Amber to come back out.

Once she does, she hands the repackaged costume to the girl before dragging me towards the accessories section. I simply follow her as she works on getting everything necessary for our matching costumes.

So much for not dressing up this year...

Thirty minutes later, we're leaving the Halloween store with our costumes in four separate reusable bags that are noticeably old. Shopping with me means you're stuck with bags that are barely holding on. But I do intend on using them until they're completely useless.

"I can't wait to see how hot we look in these." Amber nudges me with her elbow, seeming proud of herself.

I, on the other hand, am already regretting agreeing to her idea.

* * * *

"Tell me why I agreed to this again."

"Well," Amber starts, curling the last strand of my hair. "You hated the nun costume so much, you ran through your options until you were stuck with this."