2.0 | Tackled And Injured

A/N: quick side note, I don't know much about football. I did some research, but if something still doesn't seem right, please let me know. Thank you!

Ian

"Get your head in the game, Hawthorn!" Coach shouts from the sidelines, and I blow out a sharp breath.

"Hey, man, you good?" Brian asks me, looking concerned as he takes position. "You've been spacing out and we're down by six points. We need you."

I simply nod my head, taking position behind Jason, our center.

My eyes scan the bleachers and I can't stop the smile that forms on my lips when I see Sapphire in the midst of the crowd. She's currently talking to her friend, but just the fact that she came to one of my games on her own free will does something to me.

She's been avoiding me all week, which I take it as payback—I avoided her for a week first. Granted, I was hurt that she didn't remember my confession, but I soon accepted it. Especially when her ex, Zach, came up to me out of nowhere.

Jason snaps the ball to me and I take a five-step drop, getting ready to throw it to Cameron, one of our wide receivers.

Zach didn't straight up tell me she liked me back, but he hinted at it, giving me a deep sense of hope.

I can't help the goofy smile that takes over my face when I take a quick glance in her direction again.

"Hawthorn!" But I'm already getting tackled to the ground before I'm able to snap out of it.

I fall to the ground with a painful grunt as the defensive tackler lands on top of me. The crowd gasps in unison, making it loud enough for the entire block to hear.

The game stops as I stay laying on the ground, groaning. The wind got completely knocked out of me, and when I try to get up, my shoulder feels like someone just tried to sever it and only left it hanging by a thread. I hiss in pain.

Brian is the first to run over to me, and I can only shake my head when he asks if I'm all right. Coach is next, who seems to be more devastated than anyone, hoping to god I just got the wind knocked out of me.

However, the visit to the hospital confirms a fractured shoulder. I'm forced to wear a sling for the following week, more if needed. Just fucking great.

As I'm signing the paperwork to be released, I'm surprised to find Sapphire walking into my hospital room. She smiles at me, lowering herself onto a chair across the room as the doctor keeps giving me papers to sign, instructing what I have to do for the following week before my checkup. But I'm barely paying attention, my eyes keep sliding over to her when she isn't looking.

Are those flowers she's trying to hide?

I smile to myself, thanking the doctor when he tells me that I'm free to go whenever I'm ready.

She finally meets my gaze when we're alone, and I wave at her with my free hand.

She waves back, looking shy. "Hey, how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine." I shrug with my good shoulder only. "They gave me ibuprofen, so I barely feel anything at the moment. Thank god."

She nods in acknowledgment. "That's good. Um..." she bites her lip, seeming to be fighting with herself. Finally, she gives in and says, "I brought you these flowers... I know it's weird because you're a guy, but—"

I cut her off as I take them from her. "I appreciate it."

She smiles, biting her lip as she puts her arms behind her back and rolls onto her heels. Cute.

"How are you getting home?" She asks as she walks out of the room behind me.

"I can drive."

"Should you, though?" She questions nervously.

I shrug, "I usually drive with one hand. I should be fine."

"Ian!"

"Oh, boy." I grumble, watching my sister march her way towards us.

She greets Sapphire with a quick hug before coming to inspect me and my arm. I pull myself away when she grabs my face to see if I have any facial injuries.

"This is why I never wanted you to join football, but as a supporting sister, I still encouraged you to follow your dreams." She begins what I know will turn into her usual scolding.

"I just fractured my shoulder." I roll my eyes, continuing to make my way out of the hospital. Everyone's eyes are on us, and I hate it.

"Just?" She asks incredulously, following after me. "Your arm is in a sling!"

"For a week, two at most."

"Does that not sound like a lot to you? Oh, my— what are you doing?" She runs to catch up to me. Just as I'm getting into my car, she pushes me out of the way and closes the door on me.

"What the hell?"

"You're not driving anywhere until that sling goes away." She tells me sternly, going as far as putting her hands up on her hips. "Sapphire, can you drive?"

She looks up at her, furrowing her eyebrows as she shakes her head. "I don't know how."

Katie waves her off. "It's all right, it's nothing to be ashamed of. There's plenty of people out there that don't know how to drive." She turns her attention back over to me. "Looks like I'll have to take some time off to be your chaperone, little brother."

"You don't have to do that."

"Of course I do, you dimwit!"

"I'll meet you at the house?" Sapphire catches my attention, and I turn to give her a confused look. She smiles awkwardly, pointing towards a car waiting for her. I recognize Zach as the driver. "He brought me here."

I give a curt nod. "Sounds good."

"Okay," she smiles at me, then her eyes trail over to my sister. "Will I see you there?"

Katie beams at her. "Of course."

"Okay, see you there then."

I watch her get into the passenger seat before Zach rolls down the window and waves at me. I wave back, shaking my head in amusement when he winks at me. Sapphire notices this and playfully hits his arm, hiding her face from me as she puts on her seatbelt.

I chuckle to myself, but Katie hears me.

"I like her," she admits. "You two look cute together."

My cheeks feel warm as I shove her with my good arm and get into the passenger seat of my own car. Feeling annoyed, I look out of the window as she climbs into my usual seat.

"Let's get my widdle bwothew home."

"Talk to me like that again and I'll throw myself out of the car while you're driving."

She laughs loudly, checking the mirrors as she backs up. "Geez, need me to lend you a tampon?"

"I'm not kidding."

"So you're a pad type of guy?"

"Katie..." I warn through clenched teeth.

She just laughs some more, "We can always just buy you a menstrual cup, little miss diva." She goes as far as patting the top of my head as she turns the corner.

I turn to glare at the side of her head, and she tries to hide her amused smile as she pretends to rub under her nose.

"...free bleeding?" she eventually asks sheepishly.

I groan in annoyance, turning the music up and silencing her wicked laughter.