Reassurance

Chapter 25
Kate was sulking in bed with her back to the door when she heard a sudden knock. "Go away Castle. I don't want to talk to you." She scolded.

"It's me dear. Richard told me you were in here." Martha explained as she sat down on the end of the bed. "What's wrong?"

Kate sat up and smiled to act more polite. "Oh it's nothing. Just a stupid argument." Kate assured her with a fake smile.

Martha nodded while she rolled her eyes. "I see. Well darling, your secret is out. Richard told us that you're pregnant. Congratulations!" Martha exclaimed in a soft tone.

Kate was in shock and got up from the bed when Martha went to hug her. "He told you? He told you to come in here, didn't he? He said I was getting fat and he has the nerve to tell his family I'm pregnant before even talking to me. I'm not even sure I want to be a parent. Maybe that's not what I want." Kate was in tears. Her mascara was streaming down her face and her eyes were all puffy. She sat next to Martha, put her head in her hands, and groaned.

Martha just sat at the edge of the bed waiting for Kate's rant to end. "Katherine, I came in here to congratulate you. Becoming a mother is a wonderful responsibility. Richard did tell me he called you fat though. I thought I raised him right. Apparently not." Kate laughed a little.

Kate sat up straight and looked Martha in the eye. "What if I'm not a good enough mother? My mom was the best and yet look what happened to her. I don't want to put my kid through that pain if something were to ever happen to me or Rick." Kate explained.

"That's not going to happen. You are going to be a great mom. If you're already worrying about it now then you're already on the right track. I raised Richard all on my own and I think he turned out pretty well. But don't worry, he will be there every step of the way. You don't have to worry Kate." Martha said. She took Kate's hand and squeezed it tight. A tear rolled down Kate's face but not of sadness or anger but tears of joy. The two women hugged before they stood up.

"Now go clean yourself up a little. Dinner is almost ready." Martha instructed. Kate nodded and went into the bathroom to wash up.

Martha came out of the bedroom with her head held high. "You're welcome Richard." Martha replied as she sat down at one of the bar stool counters.

"Yes mother I don't know what I would do without you." Richard thanked.

"Probably still be single." Alexis sarcastically replied. Castle's face went from smiling to glaring.

In the bathroom, Kate rinsed her face, washed away the tear stayed mascara, and reapplied some more. She brushed her hair, through on a nicer shirt, and walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen.