Prologue

Prologue

Rachel's P.O.V

*"Where are they?" The hunter shouted at my mother.

"You'll never get it out of me!" She yelled back at the discussing smelling hunter.

"Yes I will! Now tell me!" The man demanded. One thing you must know about my mother she will never give up even if her life is on the line.

"Never." The anger in her voice said it all; she was willing to die to save us.

"I will always love you two." Her voice softly came into my head, it must have come to Abby because she was holding her mouth preventing the sobs from giving us away.

"Fine have it your way" the man calmly said. I heard a gunshot then growling. I couldn't see anything all I could do is listen and look at Abigail, tears rolling down her face. Another shot rang off and the man chuckled to himself. "Stupid mutt" the door slammed shut. We hid in the wall of the pack house dining room, she pulled back the panel and we stepped out. There in front of us is mom, dead along with my only older brother next to her shifting back from his wolf form, dead.

I immediately shifted and howled and linked my father thru our pack's link.

"Dad where are you! The man killed mom and Jason!" I cried thru the link.

Abigail shifted and howled too. I could tell the man was reproaching the house, if his stench wasn't enough he wasn't making his steps lighter.

"Rachel, Abigail come here, I won't hurt you." His voice was menacing.

"Abby get to Green Lake now!" I shouted through link, she darted to emergency underground exit that leads to the Green Lake pack. My father and The Alpha, Trevor, are best friends.

"Rachel what happened! Something prevented me from opening the tunnel doors!" My father shouted as we emerged from the tunnel into the Alpha's back yard. I bowed to Alpha Trevor still in wolf form, and linked my dad.

"Mom and Jason are dead." I whimpered, my father shifted running into the tunnel leading to my house.

"Rachel what happened" Alpha Trevor asked handing me and Abigail robes. We shifted and put the robes on.

"Hunters" I said and Abigail fell to her knees and cried. I was right at her side holding back all my tears that wanted to flow.

"Rachel where's Luna Aria and Jason?" I looked up at him tears in my eyes. He gave me one quick look of sorrow and kneeled down so he could look me in the eyes.

"Rachel because you're the oldest now once you reach the age of eighteen you will become Alpha or be mated. If you don't meet your mate by then you will be the first woman Alpha in over one hundred years." I'm only twelve at least it gives me six years to not have any responsibilities and one year to find a mate before I become alpha.

"Okay" I turned to Abigail he looked at me now with pity; I don't want to be looked at like that.

"I love you Abby, it's me and you no matter what." Reassurance is what she needs now, not pity.

A howl could be heard in the distance. My father he must have seen the damage done.

"Should I go back?" I whispered to my wolf, Lupa.

"Yes, but bring Alpha Trevor." She closed the connection, signaling she was ready to go.

"Alpha we need to go back, I need to see if my dad's okay." He nodded and shifted. I didn't bother to remove my robe before shifting and running after Alpha.

The scene in front of me was horrid. The hunter that killed my mother was dead, along with five of his buddies. However the sixth one he was something special, a rogue. This rogue is trained to kill murder and laugh in the face of death. On the top of the pile of dead bodies are my mother, Jason and my father. That's it. I lunged at the rogue, who is still in human form, pinning him to the ground. He shifted and tossed me aside like I was just some bug. Alpha Trevor put up a good fight, the rouge seemed done and left. The rogue was younger stronger and faster than Alpha and got away.*

I awoke in a cold sweat, years later that dream still plagues me of what I couldn't do to save them.