5.

Yara's POV

It's the day of Essence's photo shoot, and my mom and I arrived super early. She's a stickler for being on time, which means arriving at any gig 15-20 minutes earlier than expected. I looked at all my racks of clothing, shoes, accessories, & makeup lined up, and it finally sunk in that I'm doing their magazine!

"Good morning Miss Yara. The first piece you'll wear is this fun strapless dress and your hair is going to be full of bouncy, spiral curls. Angie and Lena will be assisting you throughout your shoot." A representative from Essence said. He introduced me to all of the stylists and photographer, and they quickly went to work on me.

"So chunk how ya feeling right now?" I turned around and saw my mom recording me with her iPhone. I'm turned back around in the makeup chair and groaned loudly. She can be  so embarrassing sometimes.

"Maaaaaaa...why you so embarrassing. Stop recording me." I whined. Did she stop? Absolutely not.

"C'mon baby. Say something to the camera. Nana wanna see how you look." She said. I faced the camera again and genuinely smiled.

"Hey Grandma. I'm so excited about this shoot! Wish you were here. Love you!" I waved to the camera and she finally put it away. Once the makeup and hair was finished, I carefully got into my dress and began posing.

"Yessss Yara. Have fun with the dress. Twirl, hold your hands up if you want...act free." The photographer instructed me. I did just that and starting feeling myself.

"Yasss mommy's girl! Killing shit at 15! That's my baby!" Everyone laughed at my mom getting too hype behind the computer that displayed my photo stills. I chuckled too because she is actually funny when she's not embarrassing me so much. After awhile it was time for the interview part before we shot the actual look that'll be the cover for Essence.

I greeted the interviewer, and the questions immediately started rolling. It wasn't a hard interview to do because I can talk to basically anyone, and plus the subject is being a Black Girl who's magical. Not in the literal sense, but you get the idea.

"Yara they're ready to dress you now." My mom said to me once I wrapped the interview up. Getting into my last outfit with new makeup, I stood in front of the camera and worked my "magic."
~~~~~
Jennifer's POV

Yara did so great at the shoot, and I'm just so proud of the young woman she's becoming. She's literally stepping into her own, and I'm so grateful to God for blessing and trusting me with a beautiful and talented daughter.

After the shoot, it kinda became Yara's day of going anywhere she wanted to & now we're back home in time for dinner.  I decided we should go out to celebrate so we've been getting dressed. "Ma. I'm ready to go are you finished?" Yara yelled from downstairs.

"Stop yelling and almost!" I shouted back. I couldn't find my Céline bag I wanted to take, and finally remembered I let Yara borrow it a while back. Making my way to her bedroom, I grabbed it off the island table that stood in the center of her closet & walked down the steps.

"Aww you look so pretty mommy! Edges on fleek!" Yara complimented me as I used my hand to brush a flyaway from my slicked ponytail.

"You look cute too, chunk. Your curls haven't fallen yet from the shoot," I said, grabbing a loose strand of hair from out her face.

"I know right. Imma pineapple my hair extra good tonight. This is the best my hair has ever looked." I laughed and we made our way outside to my all-black Bentley. My best-friend Leah Remini was meeting us at the restaurant called Nobu to celebrate Yara's shoot.

Yara's POV

Mom drove right up to the curb of Nobu to let valet park the car. Paparazzi swarmed us with their flashing lights. I normally don't like going to restaurants I know paparazzi will be at, but I love the food here so I'll sacrifice for a few snaps and shouting. Paparazzi isn't so bad if you just smile and actually greet them.

Making our way inside to our usual spot in the far back corner, my auntie Leah was already sitting down eating. "Damn Leah you couldn't wait for your niece and I." My mom said. Auntie Leah rolled her eyes, but smiled at me as she kissed my cheek. We were sitting at a booth and my mom sat opposite us.

"Well hello to you too Jenn. You know I already ordered for Yara and your fat ass. This is just the appetizer." She responded back.

"Ohhhhh my favorite! Thanks auntie." She ordered a mix of shrimp & vegetarian mini tacos, and I dug in. We all talked about the Essence shoot and other random things until our food came. We hardly talk when we're stuffing our faces, and it's really a sight to see. I mean... Jennifer Lopez and Leah Remini eat like grown men. Don't tell them I said that.

"Mommy are we still going to Houston?" I asked. She was showing Auntie Leah something on her phone.

"Oh yeah. I forgot all about it. I'll call Tina & Mathew when we're headed." She said. Auntie Leah gave my mom the side eye, but I brushed it off cause that's normal with them. Once the check came and we all said our goodbyes, we headed back home.

All I could think about was visiting Texas as I ran a bath for the night. I really like it there, and it's been a minute since I've seen Beyoncé & her family.