Prologue

Chicago 1920s

Chicago 1920s

Erikah Mikaelson stood next to her sister, Rebekah, as she looked over at their older brother, Niklaus.

"Maybe we should go get him, Nik." She tried to reason with him. She looked over at her sister to see her staring down at the ground. "She seems to really love him." Erikah was referring to her sister's latest fling, Stefan Salvatore.

Though she had known him for only a small fraction of the time that Nik and Rebekah did, she could tell that her sister was in love. Erikah didn't miss the look of fondness that crossed Nik's face when the young vampire was mentioned.

Seconds passed with neither Nik nor Rebekah saying anything. Erikah just sighed knowing that he wouldn't listen. He never listened to anyone. Except maybe Elijah.

"C'mon Bekah, you must choose." Nik finally broke his silence with an impatient tone. "He will find us soon." Erikah felt a slight shiver go down her spine at the mention of their father, Mikael. She looked over at her sister to see Rebekah was visibly shaken, which seemed to give Nik the answer that he wanted. "That's what I thought." Nik said simply as he made to enter their car.

"Goodbye, Nik." Rebekah finally spoke up and Erikah just turned to gape at her. That was the last answer she expected from her sister.

Erikah quickly wiped the shocked expression from her face before turning back to face their brother. "If she's staying then so am I."

A look of hurt flashed in Nik's eyes but it left as soon as it appeared. He shook his head and his expression morphed into one of anger. He seemed to weigh his options before he reached into his jacket and pulled out one of the dreaded daggers.

Erikah immediately regretted her decision but she stood silently next to her sister. The closer he got the shallower her breaths became. Of course, she knew he wouldn't really hurt them but that didn't mean that they weren't afraid of him. Especially when he believed that he was protecting them.

Nik walked closer and moved in front of Rebekah and—Erikah should've really seen it coming—daggered her. She stood gaping silently as her sister's body started desiccating and fell. Niklaus picked her up bridal style and placed her into the back of the car. He then turned back to face Erikah, another dagger in his hand.

"Niklaus, please." She begged as she began backing away from him. Tears began forming in her eyes as she thought about the years that she would miss.

She absolutely hated being daggered.

Nik ignored her pleading and just continued to walk closer. Erikah looked behind her and realized that she couldn't back up any further so she just turned to face her older brother, tears running down her face and fear in her eyes. "I'm sorry." He was saying, which only made her angry. She forcefully wiped her tears before she pushed him away from her.

"Just do it, you bastard." She yelled out, causing him to flinch slightly.

"You know I love you girls and I can't have anything happening to you." Erikah just rolled her eyes.

"Just get it over with, Niklaus." She hissed out as she glared at him.

Nik merely nodded before he sped up to her, stabbing her in the heart in the process. A strangled sob left her mouth as her skin began turning gray and she fell into her brother's arms.

"I'm sorry." He whispered as the edges of her vision turned black.

Erikah Mikaelson slowly reached her hand up to caress her brother's face as her vision turned completely black. The last vision she had before she temporarily died was tears falling from her older brother's face as he looked down at her desiccating body.