Chapter 2

Chicago 1920s

Erikah Mikaelson ran her fingers through her hair as she stepped into the speakeasy

Erikah Mikaelson ran her fingers through her hair as she stepped into the speakeasy. Everyone in the bar seemed to hush their conversations as they watched her walk towards the bar.

"Whiskey." She ordered as she sat down on a stool. The bartender—Jake—smiled at her and turned to make her drink while Erikah turned and surveyed the speakeasy.

Everyone seemed to go back to their conversations but she could still feel their gazes linger when she wasn't looking. The moment she turned to meet their eyes, however, they quickly averted them. This always brought a smile to her face.

She heard the bartender place the glass on the counter and turned back around to face him. She brought it up to her lips and took a small sip, smiling as she realized that he brought out the really aged and strong alcohol. She raised her drink in appreciation and then turned back around to continue surveying the bar.

Most of the patrons were regulars but there were a few newcomers. One of which was very clearly and obviously checking her out. The difference between him and every other person in this bar was that he didn't avert his gaze when she brought her eyes to him; he just continued watching her, a smirk evident on his lips.

Erikah downed her drink as she continued to look at him. He had raven black hair and really gorgeous blue eyes. His jaw line was absolutely heavenly and he enhanced this with the smirk that seemed to live on his lips. He also had an air of confidence surrounding him that made him even sexier.

He raised his eyebrows and his smirk widened as he came to the realization that she was checking him out. She smiled widely at him before she drained her glass and turned back to the bartender.

"Martini, please." She said with a smile. "Extra vodka." She added after a few seconds. The bartender nodded before turning from her. It took him only a few minutes to make the drink and hand it to her. She thanked him again before she turned back away from him. Erikah was surprised to see that the handsome man from earlier was walking over to her.

"Wow, whiskey and then a martini." He said with a chuckle as he reached her. "I can practically smell the vodka." He sat down. "That's a lethal combination."

Erikah turned on her stool to fully face him. "I can handle myself." She said with a smirk as she took a sip of her drink.

"I like a woman that can handle herself." He said before he held out his hand for her to take. "I'm Damon Salvatore."

Erikah took his hands and narrowed her eyes as she realized that he was a vampire. She looked at him suspiciously before she plastered a smile on her face.