4

Tori

     "And that is?" I ask Director Fury, crossing my arms.
"South of New York," Fury informs us. "New Jersey."
The corners of Steve's mouth turn down in disgust. I giggle and punch his shoulder.
"Oh, such a New Yorker," I smirk. "But I am too, so who's the one to talk?"
Steve looks at his feet and smiles. Fury coughs to receive everyone's attention.
"However, I'm splitting you up." he says.
Steve and I exchange glances.
"I believe the only one who has a different mission is Miss Stark. However, at the end of the day, you will all reunite."
I roll my eyes. "What is my mission?"
"More like 'who'." Director says, sliding a document on his desk.
I pick it up, quickly scanning it. I shake my head profusely, my eyes slowly widening.
"I can't kill anyone, anymore," I choke out.
"You won't have to," Fury states. "I'm having a few agents come when you've manipulated the target well enough."
"Thank you," I say, sighing of relief.
     Steve glances at me with curiosity, his eyebrow raised. I stare at my feet, not wanting to look him in the eyes.
"The rest of you are going to check a building for H.Y.D.R.A.. And if some of you can, you can help Miss Stark." Fury informs us.
I hear everyone nod while I still lower my head. I feel Steve's hand gently rest on my left shoulder. I look in the direction of his hand, not changing my sad expression.
He gives me a worried look, his blue orbs widening. I quickly nod and lower my head once more. Steve knows just as well as I do that I'm not okay, but I can't show my despair in front of the others.
     As Fury continues his lecture, I tone it out. I am engulfed by my own thoughts, which slowly drown me. I see flashes of previous missions, my manipulation coming over my targets. I am brought back into reality by a hand on my hip.
     "Hey," Steve says softly, holding me close to him.
     My eyes dart around my surroundings - definitely not Fury's office. We stand outside of it by ourselves. Steve's eyes show so much emotion, good and bad. I turn away, biting back tears.
     "It's okay," Steve whispers, taking me into his arms.
      I sink into his embrace, silently allowing a few tears to spill. His fingers run through my hair, calming me down. I bury my face into his chest and put my arms around him.
     I hear a voice calling our names from around the hallway. I lift my head, eyeing the producer of the voice.
     "Hey, Tori," Tony coos. "I'll help you. I know Capsicle will too, plus the agents. I-I'm so sorry you have to do this."
     "It's fine," I spit, wiping my eyes with the back of my hand. "I'm should be used to this by now."
     "C'mon," Steve says. "Let's enjoy the last moments at home before we have to go."