23

Tori

I wander the halls of the Asgardian palace. I don't even bother to know where I am; I just walk and walk, trying to clear my head. All of the guards let me through places without question. My eyes watch my moving feet, not looking up.
"Ma'am," a deep voice booms.
I snap my head up, eyeing a man in golden armor.
"Yes?" I ask the guard.
"Do you have clearance from Odin or Lady Frigga to enter?" he questions me.
"I-I don't know,"
"Are you the Midgardian?"
"Yes,"
"Come in," he says, opening the door.
I raise an eyebrow, but I quickly step into the room. I wander the empty hallways, looking into empty cells. Wait, cells. My eyes dart from each side of the hallway, my heart beating fast.
I stare into a rectangular cell, looking into it. Apparently, I'm not the only one watching. A man wearing green and black sits near the glass, a book in his hand. He quickly slams it closed, his eyes still on me. He stands and sets the book on a golden table.
"Hello," he greets in his velvet voice.
"You," I thunder.
"Ah, you know me."
"I know exactly who you are, Loki."
"You are not Asgardian," Loki states. "What are you?"
"Midgardian,"
"A puny human in Asgard? How?"
"Your brother,"
"He is not my-" Loki retorts, but he stops himself. "That oaf is not my brother. Thor was merely told that I was his brother and he was mine."
"Then what are you?" I ask the god of mischief. "If you aren't Asgardian like Thor, you have to be something different."
"Frost giant - Laufeyson," he spits. "Anyway, why are you here? Not only to see me, but in Asgard."
"Well, I'm a S.H.I.E.L.D. fugitive and Thor brought me here. I'm in the dungeon because I couldn't sleep."
"S.H.I.E.L.D.," Loki laughs. "That pathetic group, like the Avengers."
"You better watch your tongue," I warn. "Because you are talking about me and people I care about. Not only that, but you murdered someone that was close to me."
"Who are you?" he asks.
"Victoria Stark,"
"Stark? As in Iron Man?"
"Yes, I'm his sister."
"Oh," he groans. "And you're with the man out of time."
"As I said, watch your tongue."
"And the person I murdered I'm assuming was Phil Coulson." Loki sneers.
"Don't say his name in that tone." I hiss.
"I can say his name however I want to, Victoria."
"You should have died,"
"You don't always get what you want,"
"I hate you!" I yell.
Loki laughs, folding his hands behind his back. His green eyes penetrate deep into my own, finding their way into my thoughts.
"And I thought that I was sympathetic towards you. I thought we had something in common." I rant.
"You were what towards me?" Loki asks, his voice softer than it was before.
"Sympathy," I say. "Have you ever heard of it?"
"How can you feel sympathetic towards me? I'm the person who killed Phil Coulson, remember?"
"I don't know," I sigh. "Maybe because you were once an innocent person."
"I was, and I never will be again."
     "No one can become innocent again,"
     "Stark," Loki says. "I am going to ask you once more, why are you here to see me?"
     "I don't know," I respond, choppily saying each individual word. "Just let the topic go."
     "Yes, because the topic can just walk away like a coward," Loki snaps, rolling his eyes like a petulant child.
"You really are as childish as they say,"
"Yes, I probably am."
We stand in silence for a moment. I bite my lip as Loki stares at the floor of his cell. I spot him opening his mouth to say something, but he quickly snaps his jaw shut.
"I should probably go," I say, my voice cracking.
"Yes," Loki mumbles. "We both should get to sleep."
"Good night, Loki," I say, starting to walk away.
"Victoria," he calls.
I turn around, gazing into his emerald eyes.
"Yes?" I ask.
"Thank you,"
"For what?"
"For speaking with a monster like me,"
"Loki," I sigh. "As much as I hate you, I do feel sympathy for you - as I said earlier. But, you sound as bad as Steve."
"It's the truth," he says softly. "I am a monster."
"Loki,"
"And because of that, you are the first visitor I've had besides Frigga."
"Loki," I begin. "You may not be Odin's son or Laufey's son, but you will always be Frigga's. Don't ever forget that."
"I'll try my best, Victoria."