28

Tori

"S-S-Steve," I mumble.
Steve stands in his Captain America uniform, gripping his famous shield. His bloodshot eyes show disbelief, but his white teeth show with his large grin.
Even though he seems glad, I can easily see that he has had a rough time while I've been gone. His bottom lip is clearly split and his black and blue eye peeks around his helmet. He wears a new navy blue uniform, but it is tattered in some places.
"Is it really you?" he asks, slowly taking a step towards me.
I take a step back from him, causing him to frown.
"Tori, it's me," he reassures me. "It's Steve."
"How can you prove it?" I spit, remembering the agent that disguised himself as my brother.
"Tori, please," Steve sighs.
His voice is slightly raspy and he seems fatigued. I take in a shaky breath and exhale it, hoping that I will not be fooled once more.
"I've been through so much," he says. "I just want you to come home."
"What has happened?" I ask him, feeling the barrel of my gun digging into my ankle.
"T-Tori," Steve chokes out. "I saw Bucky."
My eyes widen. "Bucky?"
"Yes," he sighs. "I'll explain later. We just need to go home."
"H-How is he even alive?" I question.
"I'll explain later,"
"You still haven't proved that you're actually Steve," I mutter, grabbing for my gun. "Everyone knows about Bucky."
     "Tori," he starts, watching me grab my gun. "I'm going to have to say the same things I said to Bucky to you. I'm not going to fight you."
     He sets his shield on the ground, not taking his eyes off of me.
"And to answer your question, our promise." he breathes.
     I stand near the broken railing, slowly smiling. Steve laughs weakly, stepping towards me. I am about to step to him, but I feel something hit my right shoulder. A scream escapes through my parted lips.
     "Tori!" Steve quakes.
     I catch myself on the railing, holding my shoulder with the other hand. Blood soaks through the beautiful blue fabric and my eyes widen. Before Steve can reach me, the railing gives out and I am falling into the river. As my body hits the water, my vision goes black.