25

Tori

     "Come in," I call from inside of my room.
     My bedroom door cracks open, Frigga and Thor stepping inside. I flip my long hair off of my shoulder and stare at the two.
     "We have some news from Heimdall," Thor announces sadly, staring at the floor.
     "What did he say, Thor?" I ask the god, standing from the small chair in front of the golden vanity.
     "Victoria," Frigga murmurs. "I suggest that you sit down with me for a moment, dear."
     "That bad, huh?" I ask, taking a seat on my bed.
     Frigga sits next to me, brushing a strand of my brunette hair behind my ear. Thor stands next to his mother, folding his hands behind his back.
     "Tori," Thor begins his deep voice. "Things are not going too well on Midgard."
     "As in?" I ask.
     "First of all," Thor sighs. "Nick Fury is dead."
     My heart sinks. Dead. As much as I hate him, Fury was once kind to me. And now he is gone.
     "And because of this, Victoria, Steve Rogers is now a fugitive from S.H.I.E.L.D., as you are." Frigga says.
     Tears coat my eyes, causing my vision to blur. I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand.
     "There is more, but I think that Steve should tell you when you are home." Thor says.
     I run my fingers through my hair. Tears threaten to spill. Frigga comforts me, pulling me into her embrace. She allows me to sob and let out all of my feelings.
"It's alright, dear," she coos. "It's alright."
"When will it be safe for me to go home?" I ask, stifling my cries.
"Only a little longer," Thor says. "I hope."
"Frigga," I choke out. "What will I do until then?"
"I-I don't know, dear," she replies.
"I just want to go home,"
"Thor, you have something to go do." Frigga tells her son.
"Yes, Mother," Thor responds, silently stepping out of my room.
Once the door closes, I pull away from Frigga's embrace. She takes my shoulders in her hands and stares intensely into my eyes.
"I heard that you were out of bed last night," she informs me. "Where did you go?"
"I-I-I," I gulp. "I went to the dungeon."
"You what?"
"I couldn't sleep, so I was walking around the palace. I went into the dungeon and I saw Loki."
"Loki," she mumbles, releasing me. "You saw my son?"
"Yes," I say. "I told him a few things, and he told me a few things."
"How was he?"
"He was fine," I state.
"Why did my little boy become that man that he is?" Frigga whimpers.
"I don't know," I sigh. "Even though I despise him, Loki still has a good side underneath his mischievous ways."
"I'm not the only one that believes in him," she smiles.
"No, you're not."

•••

I sit on a bench in the gardens of the Asgardian palace. The light breeze blows through my hair as I flip the pages of a book. The afternoon sun glows, causing me to block my eyes every once in a while.
"Lady Victoria?" Thor calls.
I snap my head up to look at the god. He stands a few feet away from me, sadly smiling. I quickly smile back and place a bookmark into my book.
"Hey, Thor." I greet softly.
"I have a question for you," he says, sitting next to me.
"It better not be one like yesterday's," I grin.
"No, no, no," he retorts. "I assure you that it is not."
"What is it?"
"Have you really spoken with Loki?"
"Now everyone knows," I groan. "And yes, yes I have."
"Was he, um, sane?" he questions me.
"As far as I could tell, yes."
"Hm," Thor grunts, looking off into the distance.
We sit silently, staring at the multicolored flowers and plants.
"I hope that Midgard becomes safe soon," Thor says, breaking the silence.
"Tired of me already?" I giggle.
     "No, of course not," Thor says. "I just know how much you want to go home."
     "I still can't believe that Fury's dead,"
     "I'm so sorry,"
     "It's fine," I sigh, my breaths ragged. "I'm just scared that this means something —something that I can't see."
     "It will be alright in the end, I'm sure of it."
     "I just don't want another war,"
     "Tori," Thor begins. "There is always a war going on. There are billions of wars going on. Those wars are between people and yourself. Your war is with your mind itself. Mine is with myself, but it is complicated."
     "It's like fighting those demons in your head," I reply.
     Thor nods, looking down at his hands.
     "And sometimes, the demon wins." I add.