16

Steve

"She what?" I ask Fury.
"Well, destroyed my elevator, hurt numerous agents, and destroyed a ceiling." Fury explains.
"And she has your shield," Agent Maria Hill quietly adds.
"Well, we have to go find her!" I shout, stepping away from the long table.
"Steve, that really isn't an option," Bruce sighs. "No one has seen her since she crashed through the building."
"I don't care!"
"Steve," Tony hisses. "She's gone. She was attacked and she isn't coming back for a while."
"We can at least try,"
"What good has that ever done us?" Fury asks.
"Everything," I snap. "Everything that you can possibly imagine."
"It isn't going to work," Clint says. "There is an entire Earth and a few of us. There isn't a big chance of us finding her."
"I know her, she wouldn't go far." Natasha says.
"But she would if she was threatened." Tony barks.
"Enough!" Maria Hill shouts. "I'll help Captain Rogers if you all keep your mouths shut."
"Really?" I ask, my eyes lighting up. "Thank you."
"Don't mention it," she sighs. "Phil would have wanted me to."
I eye the floor, thinking of how Tori told me about her relationship with Agent Coulson.
"We'll start tomorrow, Rogers," Fury groans. "But if anything goes wrong, it's on you."

•••

I walk out of the elevator to my apartment's floor and head in the direction of my home. I take the key out of my pocket and put it in the key hole. I step inside, listening to the silence. I set the key on the small table and step into the main area.
I step into my shared bedroom and sigh. I can't handle the silence here. I spot something that lays on the bed. My red, white, and blue shield sits on the sheets. My eyes widen and I pick it up. I see a small white paper taped onto the inside. I peel it off and read the familiar handwriting:

Steve,

I know that you are going to need this while I'm gone. Today was not as I expected it and everything went wrong. Fury is upset with me and probably wants to kill me, but I don't know what I did except protect myself.
Steven, I'm so sorry. I can't even express how guilty I feel for just leaving you like that, especially after the conversation that we had last night. I don't know what is going to happen and I can't be there with you because someone might come in looking for me.
Please don't forget our promise. I love you, Steve, and I will until the end of time. I'll be back soon enough, whether it's because of even worse injuries than I have now or maybe the coast is clear. Just make wise decisions and don't miss me too much until then.
I love you, honey, and don't forget about me.

Love, Tori

My heart breaks and I feel tears forming in my eyes. I flip it over to the back. I expect to see a blank paper, but it has a few words on it.

P.S.-
I had to take some bandages, a spare gun, and a few other things. Forgive me.

I laugh aloud and tuck the paper in my back pocket. My eyes scan the room, hoping to see Tori beside me. She isn't here. I exhale a shaky breath and sit on the edge of the bed. I feel a vibration in my pocket, possibly from my new phone. I slip it out and glance at the screen. "Natasha Romanoff" is across the top and a picture of her that Tori took is in the background. I slide the screen and put the phone to my ear.
     "Hello?" I ask.
     "Mission," Natasha's muffled voice spits. "Tomorrow, in the Indian Ocean. With a S.T.R.I.K.E. team."
     "Um, alright," I breathe. "I'll be ready."
     "Good,"
     The phone beeps in my hand, ending the call.

________________________________

     Just a quick little author's note, if you haven't seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier, I suggest that you first of all watch it, and don't read Steve's point of view in one chapter which is coming up soon.
     The next chapters are all going to be in Tori's point of view because I don't want to pretty much rewrite the entire script of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Plus, I have a little something planned for Tori.
     So, in conclusion, during the next chapters, it is all going to be in the time of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.