22

Tori

"Lady Victoria, wait up!" Thor calls, trying to catch up with me.
We scramble through the streets of Asgard, just enjoying the atmosphere. A grin won't leave my face and I blabber about every aspect of the realm.
"Thor, what is that?" I ask, stopping in my tracks.
I look back at the god, who now wears a black cloak. He smiles at me, like an adult would do to a child. A magnetic contraption floats in the air. A swirling thing floats around a ball, making magical noises with it.
"This thing is amazing," I exclaim, astonished.
The thing comes together and drops into my hand.
"Uh, Tori," Thor mumbles. "You have their ball."
He points to three small boys. They sit on steps, staring at me with sadness.
"Oh," I say. "I'm so sorry."
I toss the ball to the boy in the middle. They stand and run off to play. Thor and I smile, a small giggle escaping my lips. Thor urges me to continue to walk.
"So," he begins. "Do you like children?"
"I'm never really around them," I explain. "But yeah."
He grins, a thought clearly in his mind. I gasp and punch his shoulder.
"How dare you, Thor!" I retort. "I didn't think that you, out of all people, would have such a dirty mind."
He laughs more. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help it."
"When I see him, I'm telling Steve." I intimidate him.
"No, no, no," Thor rambles. "I didn't mean it."
"Oh, yes you did."
"I'm only messing with you,"
"Lets keep walking,"

•••

I bolt upright from the bed. A trickle of sweat runs down my forehead. I try to make out things that are in the room that Frigga gave me, like the golden vanity and the long windows, but the darkness is too great. I shudder and pull the sheets over my head.
I dreamt of Steve on Earth. I saw him smiling and laughing, everything that I see him do on a daily basis. But the scene changed. I saw the same thing that I did a few nightmares ago. During that dream, I saw him unconscious, on a side of a H.Y.D.R.A. agent. Tony was on the other side. However, it was different. It was like taking Steve from that dream and putting him in another one.
He was propped against the corner of a wall in a H.Y.D.R.A. base. His eyes were closed and his hand lingered on his abdomen. His hand and the fabric around it were coated in his blood. I had rushed to him, checking his pulse. The rhythm of his heart wasn't there; it was just emptiness. I started to sob and gripped his uniform. His bloody hand seized my jaw, and his bloodshot eyes were wide open.
"You...could've...saved...us..." Steve had choked out.
He pointed to another bloody, unconscious body on the other side of the room. And then another, and to three more. The Avengers laid with their eyes open, their chests still. Steve's hand dropped to his side, a single breath escaping his lips. His fingertips barely grazed his shattered shield.
My heart races. That could be happening at home. I could come home one day and see that horrible sight. Now, even if I try my hardest to close my eyes, the visions haunt me.
I give up.
I crawl out of my bed and decide to explore the palace. Sadly, I see more than I was hoping for.