13

Tori

I tiptoe out of the bed that Henry assigned to me. I wear one of his button down shirts, which barely covers me. I slowly step out of the bedroom and I peek into his, seeing a lump in the bed. I sigh of relief and scurry down the stairs.
     I take out my cellphone, dialing the number of the temporary S.H.I.E.L.D. base.
     "Come when you're ready," I say. "He is manipulated enough."
     The agent agrees and hangs up. I slide the phone into the pocket over my heart. I continue my journey in the moonlit mansion. It wouldn't be terrifying if I weren't in a life or death situation and the silence. Servants should be about doing things, but it's just me. The velvet curtains aren't drawn, showing the highly maintained lawn outside. I return my attention back to the mission.
I remember the hallways, counting them and turning down the correct one. I open the door and quickly close it behind me. I flip the light on and the chandelier glows dimly.
I take the small brown leather book from a bookshelf and sit in a velvet chair. I flip to the first page:
Classified information. Do NOT read if you are not a part of H.Y.D.R.A..
Yeah right. I turn the page and begin to read the sloppy handwriting. The year is last year.
H.Y.D.R.A. has accepted me. The peculiar group needs someone like me to help with things financially. I will prove them that I am worthy of being a great agent, just like my idols.
I read the cursive signature on the bottom: H. Chandler. I flip the page.
Everything is well. I have been of great help for H.Y.D.R.A.. I will not fail them.
Next page.
I have assigned many successful missions and was recruited to a higher rank.
Page after page, nothing is important. Hours of scanning the crumpled paper are useless. The dates skip to day after day to months from the last entry. I am about to give up, but I see my name on the paper.
Mystérieux has become an Avenger. She has saved lives. She has been caught by us. She has been experimented on. She is Captain America's partner. I want her dead. I will not stop until her blood is on my hands.
With a trembling hand, I turn the page.
Captain America has been spotted in Italy, without Mystérieux. He is going to pay for what he has done in the past.
No... Next page.
I met a woman last night. She was beautiful. She reminds me of my mother, always wearing red and her voice. She looks so familiar, I just cannot pinpoint where I have seen her before. Miss Samantha Everett.
I gulp and flip to the next page which is dated the same day as the last one.
I am not sane. My sanity is gone. My ambition has driven me to insanity. I am never going to stop what I am doing. Samantha Everett's face will not leave me. I do know who she is, but I don't know who she is. Samantha Everett. Samantha Everett. Samantha Everett. Samantha Everett. Mystérieux. Mystérieux. Mystérieux. Victoria Sta
The a drags along the paper, going down. I know what he was writing: Victoria Stark. Me. I see two small red splatters on the corner of the paper - blood. I stand from the chair, dropping the book to the floor. The door to the library opens. I expect it to be a servant, but I see a pair of gray eyes staring at me.
     "Miss Everett, what are you doing out of bed?" Henry asks me.
     Words cannot come out of my mouth. I step backwards, not knowing what to do. I have my hands behind me, just in case I fall. I step back more and more. My hands find a table, but it is too late. The table collapses and I go with it, hitting my head on the edge of it.
     "Samantha!" Henry calls.
     Henry rushes to my side, brushing the pieces of wood to the side. My vision is blurred and I am dizzy. Once they come into focus, I start crawling away from him.
"Get away from me!" I shout. "I'm fully aware that you know who I am."
His eyes lose the light in them. His hands ball into fists and he stands. He yanks my arm, bringing me to my feet.
"We are going to bed, Samantha," he growls.
"Get your hands off of me!" I scream, flicking my arm away from him.
Henry throws me over his shoulder like a rag doll and marches out of the library. I scream and kick, but he won't let go. My head is throbbing, making my option to attack disappear.
Henry sprints up the stairs, taking me into my bedroom. He tosses me onto the bed and pins me to it. He starts to undo the buttons of my shirt, but I kick him in the groin. He bellows and I attempt to escape.
I am pulled back onto the bed once more, Henry hovering over me. He seizes my wrists and puts them above my head.
"We could be perfect," he whispers. "You don't have to be with that man out of time anymore."
I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. I hear myself screaming on the top of my lungs, calling for help. No servants come. It is just us.
"You don't have to be Victoria Stark anymore. You can be Samantha Chandler. I'll love you more than anyone ever has. You just have to cooperate with me, sweetheart." he resumes.
"No!" I shriek.
Ice shoots from my hands, creating ice crystals on the ceiling. I have almost forgotten about my power. I have controlled it for so long. I shoot ice into his face and he stumbles off of the bed. I create ice cuffs, pinning him to the floor.
It's not long after until I hear the feet of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents clomping on the marble floor.