Tell me more, tell me less

"But that doesn't make sense." I said to Ms Eloise, completely perplexed. "The curse said-"

"That's why you're so special Arabella. You're the first Shadow to ever have a choice." Ms Eloise looked kind, but my frustration only grew. 

"Why me? How come the curse hasn't worked on me?" 

Ms Eloise clasped her hands together and shook her head. "I really don't know."

"And you just expect me to believe you? After lying to me the entire time I was here?" I sounded harsher than I intended too, and Ms Eloise looked like I'd just slapped her. But what did she expect? She had lied to me, nearly everyone here had, so I'm sorry if I it hurted her that I didn't start suddenly trusting her again.

"Arabella I didn't tell you because I didn't think you were ready to hear everything. I promise you I was going to tell you but Cole-"

"How convenient for you that I was kidnapped." I didn't give her a chance to respond, I stood up and quickly left her office. I wasn't ready to forgive Ms Eloise or anyone else for that matter. 

***

"Why are you in the library with me? Shouldn't you be eating lunch with your people?" Shelby asked, meeting my eyes over her book. She was studying, as always.

I just shrugged. "I prefer to dine with honest people." I picked up a grape and tossed it at Shelby's book. 

"Arabella do you mind? I'm trying to study." She stuck her face closer into her English book to prove her point. 

"My people? You make it sound like a cult." I imply with a small laugh.

"Shhhh." Shelby said for the hundredth time and I sighed casting my eyes around the library. 

"Manwhore alert." I whisper/shouted at Shelby and she tore herself away from her book to send me a confused look. 

"Ladies." Nick pulled up a chair beside me and smiled his white dazzling smile at both Shelby and I. 

"What do you want Nick? And I swear to god if you say a threesome-"

"You always assume the worst from me Arabella. I just wanted to see how you both were." Nick smiled again and I shot a glance Shelby's way expecting her to roll her eyes, but to my complete shock and horror she was blushing and avoiding Nick's gaze. 

"No." I said across the table to Shelby and she seemed to understand what I was saying because her her eyes went wide, and her face just turned five shades more red. 

"Am I missing something here?" Nick asked, looking between us both. 

"No!" Shelby almost shouted. "We're fine Nick, you should go."  She put her book down in a rush and ushered Nick out of his seat.

He shot us another amused glance. "You chicks are weird." , and with that he stood up and sauntered off.

Once I saw him leave, I whirled on Shelby. "Nick Bennet is the guy you like!?" 

"Nick?" Shelby tried to laugh it off, "You're kidding right? I was the one who warned you about him in the first place, do you think I'm that stupid?" She was looking at me skeptically, but her face was betraying her, she was still pink and she looked flushed. 

I gave her a pointed look. "Yes." 

She sent me a glare before sighing and putting her head in her hands. "Am I that obvious?" 

"Yes." I said again. She peeked out at me through her fingers as she still had her head in her hands, that was when I noticed she painted her nails black, and not pink. "I mean, you changed your nail varnish for him, this must be a big deal."