Chapter 5

Chapter five.

We stopped at his house to pick up Camille before he dropped us off at the gas station. That was last night. I had a lot of fun and this morning I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Camille kept on giggling at me.  It seemed that when I smiled she smiled.

"I'm going to go make you breakfast. Get ready," I say smiling at her. She just shakes her head going to dig through the small drawer she keeps her clothes in. I go out into the main hallway before going into the kitchen. I hear my dad's heavy snores from his bedroom and happily make some eggs for him and Camille.

I didn't know why I was in such a good mood this morning. Maybe it was because I actually slept better...

Nope. I smile as I remember the previous night with Josh. Camille comes into the kitchen just as I pull two plates out. I go and take the pan off the stove. It was rather nasty because it was rusting but it was all we had.

"Hurry and eat. The bus will be here soon," I tell her. She nods and eats with the out of shape fork I set down in front of her.

"Where's my food?" My dad grumbles and I stiffen the smile falling off my face. I slowly turn handing him the plate. As his hand reaches out I instinctively flinch. Luckily he doesn't notice and just moves into his room growling as he goes. I stare down at the floor.

"Don't let him ruin your good mood," Camille says pulling the straps of her book bag up over her shoulders. I smile at her sadly and nod.

"You should get to school," I tell her and she nods. She hugs me tightly before pushing out the door into the heavy wind. I watch her through the window when the bus pulls up. She climbs up the big steps and through the darkened windows I see people greeting her. It makes me smile. I'm glad she can be happy somewhere.

I get my own things and sit on the curb hugging myself while I wait for Josh. He insisted that I shouldn't be walking in this weather so he said he was going to pick me up. I felt half frozen when his car came into sight. My small body had a hard time fighting the wind. I jump in the car quickly rubbing my numb hands together.

"Why didn't you wait inside?" He asks shaking his head with a smile. I shrug throwing him a smile as well.

"Good morning," I tell him cheerfully. He looks surprised at my happy mood. He chuckles wrapping a hand around mine.

"Good morning. You seem happier," he says as he starts driving again. I shrug again.

"Last night was fun," is all I reply as I look out the window. He laughs rubbing my scarred hand. I shudder a little at the pure warmth spreading from his hand.

"I know. I would ask for another night tonight but I have practice," he says a little disappointed. I nod looking down. I hated that was disappointed myself but I kept a smile on my face.

"I wish it would quit snowing," I say randomly and he smiles at me. He turns into the parking lot.

"Unfortunately I think it isn't supposed to clear up until Saturday," he says and parks. He then turns to me and looks me in the eye, "I love seeing you happy like this."

I smile wider and he breaks his hand away from mine so we could get out. He opens the door and I can't help but giggle.

"Do you celebrate thanksgiving with your family?" He asks and I shake my head. We never had enough money for a feast. We normally don't even have enough for three meals a day.