Chapter 8

Chapter eight

The next day I don't make Camille go to school. I was sore and though it isn't one of the worst I've received I didn't want to go back quite yet. I struggled through work knowing that I could easily hide my face. I didn't need people seeing the bruises right now. They were worse than ever. It was like he was aiming for my face. My normally pale skin is covered with blue purple and red patches.

Today is Friday and I am planning to miss again today. Grades didn't matter. What did? All I needed to do was take care of Camille. Nothing else matters. I lost any sense of purpose the first time dad took a fist to my face. The only responsibility I have to really do is take care of Camille. And once she's okay? I don't know. Maybe I'll finally be able to leave the man who haunts my every dream. Maybe.

Or maybe I'll die before then. That's okay too. I would make sure Camille is safe and away from here of course. Camille. All that will ever matter.

I am making sandwiches in the kitchen when there is a soft knock on the door. I frown cautiously going to open it. I immediately duck my head seeing who it is. How could he be so stupid to come here?

Because he doesn't know. I don't raise my head just hide my face. He stares at me for a second.

"George-," he's cut off when I'm yanked back angrily by the hair. I Yelp in pain and my father's face appears in front of the door. He yanks it open with a very angry expression. I start to panic.

"Georgia," Camille kneels next to my and tries to get my attention but I'm focused on what was going on at the door.

"Who are you and why are you at my door?" Dad asks and Josh looks a mixture of scared and angry.

"Josh and I came here to check on Georgia," he growls his fists clenched. My dad is clearly extremely drunk but he notices anyway.

"Stay away from this house and from her. She'll end up killing you," he says angrily and shuts the door in Josh's face locking it. Camille already has backed up to the wall and from behind my dad's huge form I see Josh looking in through the cracked window. He looks scared.

As he slowly turns to me I start scrambling back and look at Camille. Without a word she goes out the back door to deal with Josh. He already had assumptions of what was going on but now he was going to know for sure. If he went to the police for help...

I don't finish the thought because a hand connects with my cheek. The left side of my head hits the wood making me groan. He kicks me once more in the side and all the air rushes out of me leaving me sputtering and gasping.

"You don't have friends," he growls giving my bad leg another kick for good measures. I taste blood in my mouth the coppery taste so undeniably familiar it sickened me. He storms into his room- not before grabbing a sandwich- and slams his door shut. I look at the two looking through the window at me. Apparently Camille hadn't been successful because Josh was staring in horror and pain at me. I drag myself into a sitting position to unlock the door. As soon as the click is heard they burst in. I spit blood out onto the floor next to me.

This is my life. Bleeding for my dad's pleasure then cleaning it up and making him lunch. I guess that is my purpose isn't it?

"Oh my gosh," I lean against the wall as Josh takes his place at my side. I close my eyes waiting for it. Just wishing I could've postponed this moment longer. Why did he have to be so stupid?

"Josh you are going to be late for school," I still hide my face. It was covered in bruises still.

"I'm not leaving you after that," he says looking like he doesn't know know what quite to do. I look at Camille and she shakes her head. I try to stand but he pushed me back down.