Chapter 26

I couldn't stop thinking about what I heard Jackson say to Madeline last night. I hated to admit it but hearing the L word coming out of his mouth to another girl, broke my heart.

I smoothed out my purple dress and waited for Madeline outside of her room. I couldn't get mad at her because Jackson fell in love with her. Of course he would anyway. She's gorgeous and has a pure soul. I'm nothing compared to her.

Madeline walked out in a white dress. She looked quite lovely in white. I know Jackson would be happy to know that.

She looked distressed. I gave her a faint smile.

"Oh. Hi." She said as we started walking.

So much enthusiasm.

"Hello. What's wrong?"

"Nothing." It was obviously a lie.

I would've left it at that, and I should've. But I guess Jackson meant too much to me to not know for sure. I couldn't get my heart broken over a guy, even if he was a prince. Not again.

"Madeline... I heard you last night. I heard you talking to him."

Madeline froze then let our a lengthy sigh.

"You can't tell him you know. The kingdom would react insanely. He has too many responsibilities for a worthless girl like me to get in his way."

"Hey," I said reaching for her hand. "Your beautiful. And he deserves you. And isn't that what this competition is about? Finding love?"

"I guess. But you know, last night he told me he felt as if we had a connection from the start."

Ouch. That stung.

I gave her the best smile I could muster as I felt my heart break into a million and one pieces.

"I'm happy for you."

"Thank goodness. I thought you would be furious or upset in the least."

"Why would you think that?" I asked.

She looked me in the eye for the first time in the conversation, "We can both guess why."

££££££££££££££££££££££££££

I didn't look at Jackson at all during any of the meals. And he didn't look at me. He looked awfully stressed. He barely ate anything. Not like I cared.

I couldn't even look Madeline in the eye. Even though I agreed it the beginning of the competition that she would be perfect for Jackson, but now... I regret jinxing myself.

Because now I'm falling for Jackson but I can't admit it to him. He's on his knees for me and I keep rejecting him. He might as well send me home. I don't deserve him. A girl like me shouldn't be with a prince.

I just can't understand what I'm feeling. I just know that these feelings are real. I can't run from them. I can't hide from them. Whatever I do, they'll exist. Even if I get sent home, a piece of Jackson will always be with me. He may not be my first love, but he'll most likely be my last if my heart continues like this.

I can't believe how much it hurt though. How much of a shock it was. Seeing him with another girl. Of course, I should've expected this. I practically begged him to date other girls. I told him he would be disappointed if he got to know the real me. I guess he finally realized that as well. But I can't let me jealousy get the best of me. I knew from the start I wasn't in it to win it. I was very aware of the fact that there would be other girls more beautiful and just better in general. Jackson finally stopped being stubborn and he realized the other girls full potential. It's as simple as that.

I looked down at my fancy dinner. It was some type of french cuisine. Usually I would be inhaling it. But I just wasn't in the mood. I guess that's when I really know something is wrong. When I even reject food.

All the other girls we're chatting, laughing, going on with they're daily routines. All unaware that one of their fellow competitors has already won this competition. And another is breaking on the inside because of it.

I then looked at the King and Queen. They looked so happy. So in love. Pure, simple, and honest love. Was it so bad that that's all I wish to desire?

You did have it. But you threw it away. He stopped fighting for you. Because he realized you weren't worth the fight.

"If I can have everyone's attention." Jackson said. I looked his way. He was standing up. Dinner untouched, and the look of distress on his face. The room immediately silenced. Even Mary Lou stopped slurping her soup.

"As you all may know, we have been at this competition for quite some time now. 6 months to be exact. I feel as if I have gotten to know each and one of you ladies personally. But now, I do not want to lead any of you on if we don't have a possible future together. Thus is why, I am now going to announce the Elite."

My heart stopped. Everyone gasped. Utensils fell. Even Queen America was in shock. But King Maxon looked as calm as the soft rolling waves of the sea.

"The Elite that I picked are . . ."

Girls started holding hands. Some even crossed their fingers. Even fewer started have tears.

"Madeline Monroe." Of course she's first.

"Hannah Wilson, Jessica Star, Anastasia Jobe, Zora Zafan."

Wait, that's only five. 

It's not going to be me. There's no way. We don't have a future together, just as he said.

Jackson looked me straight in the eyes. "Brooke Everdeen."

Ahh! We've finally made it to the Elite! I have all the chapters nicely planned out. As long as nothing gets deleted, we should be good. I'm writing a lot more often. I wrote basically all this chapter just now. I have a new high school story called "Ordinary Girl". If any of you would like to check it out. :) Have a good night everyone. And enjoy your weekend!

Add me on instagram: selection_is_life, totallyaccuratetho

<3 Ashley

Selectedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें