Chapter 28

I opened the door, only to find those blue eyes that haunted my dreams.

"We need to talk." Jackson said, holding my dinner in one hand.

Pshh. Yeah we do. The fact that you chose me to be an Elite, when you know very well that you're going to end up marrying Madeline. Or hey, are we going to ignore that you brought my dinner late and you should entertain the 5 young woman who are desperately in love with you and who would kill to have the crown.

All I would've been more than happy to point out, but was too shocked to comprehend. So I ended up just nodding and opening the door wider so he can enter.

As he walked through the door, many things processed through my head. 1: I was wearing nothing but a robe. 2: He was here, when I was very aware that there was a dinner happening downstairs. 3: How was I going to tell him to send me home when I just wasn't ready?

He placed my dinner on my bed side table and just awkwardly stood there.

"You can sit." I said as I walked towards him.

"I don't want to intrude."

I laughed, "it' your home after all."

He sat on my bed and then that's when he started to process that I was just wearing a robe. His eyes looked me up and down and we both couldn't help but blush.

"I have been confronted by woman all day. They all begged me for second chance and one even tried to give up her virtue."

Oh. Ohhhhhh.

"And I was surprised when you didn't show up. We haven't talked in days. I was expecting you to beg me to send you home."

I smiled and sat next to him. "You know me better then I thought you did. I was planning on visiting you later tonight, after dinner."

"Why would you want me to send you home? What possible reason could there be? I've tried everything in my power to make you happy. I was willing to do anything just to keep you. Why won't you open your heart to me?"

I was quiet, stunned. This wasn't making any sense.

"Jackson... Why are you telling me this? When obviously your heart belongs to someone else? You can't have us both."

"Brooke, what are you talking about?"

"I heard you and Mad-"

That's when it hit me. I for sure knew for a fact that I heard Madeline, but I wasn't positive that it was Jackson. So if it wasn't Jackson... Then who was confessing there love to Madeline?

"Me and whom?" He asked, brows furrowed.

One of the most important rules of the Selection is that you can't be seeing anyone else. The prince basically owns you. Rumors had it that the last Selection, a girl was with a guard and she was whipped. Something like that.

I can't let that happen to Madeline.

"Nothing." One thing was for sure, I need to go and talk to Madeline. "Why did you choose me to be an Elite? We both know I don't deserve it."

"Why in the world would you think that?"

I looked to the floor, silent. I don't want to express my unworthiness for the hundredth time.

Jackson sighed. "You know, Brooke. I hope that one day you realize how incredible you are. And I hope that one day I'll be there when it does happen. Because I will not stop fighting for you. I will right till my very last breath. Because I'm falling deeply in love with you." I froze. Holyfreakingmothercrapper.

"Jackson..."

"Don't argue with me. Because I know I'm right." He said with the slightest smile.

"You don't understand. I'm just not capable of being loved." I said.

"Well that's false. Because here I am, probing that statement wrong."

"No... I'm serious." Tears started to well up.

He noticed. He scooted closer to me and placed a hand on me cheek, bringing my eyes to me. "What do you mean?"
I looked to the floor again and sighed. Was I really ready to open up? Open up to this perfect man with the perfect life? Could he possibly understand? He has been here for me. Through so much. He at least deserves to know why it's so hard for me to accept him.

"A few years ago, I was crazy about this guy. He was a 3. We met in highschool. My family loved him. He was perfect in my eyes. He was funny, sweet, kind. At least I thought he was. I chased him countlessly. Basically worshiped him. I'm still not quite sure why. He just had such a huge impact on me. I thought I loved him. I thought he was my absolute everything. But he was only playing with me. Manipulating me, making me think that someone like him could actually care about someone like me. I won't go into full detail, but he ruined me. For 2 years, I suffered because of him. And after I finally got over him, I promised myself that I would never let a boy ruin me like that. It took me so long to build myself up again. I just wasn't ready to open my heart up up. I can't let myself be that girl again... I can't." Tears fell down my cheek. They couldn't be stopped. I'm pretty sure I haven't cried this hard in ages.

Jackson put his hand on my cheek and wiped my tears. "I'm sorry. I had no idea. If he ever lays a hand on you again..."

I laughed. "Don't apologize. It's not your fault."

"I just want you to know that I would never date hurt you. You're too precious in my eyes to even harm. You have to move on because I'm willing to give you everything and love you with everything I have. Because Brooke my dear, I love you."

My heart stopped. He loved me. He actually loved me. Am I ready? Do I finally deserve to move on and decide that it's best? Am I ready to love Jackson?

"Let me... Let me just think for a night please."

He looked dissapointed. I didn't blame him of course.

"Of course. Take all the time you need." And with that, he got up and left.

I looked over at my untouched dinner. I don't think I'll ever be ready to move on... I want to. I really did. But Jackson deserves someone who's not caught up on someone else. And I, was still in love with someone who won't even give me the time of day.

Ahhh! We're coming to the end of Selected! I started this story about 2 years ago because I loved The Selection Series. Who doesn't? Hopefully you guys love my ending!

Ashley ❤

Follow me on instagram: selection_is_life