24: Jerk with Tight Pants

Amanda’s POV:

It felt like ages after the phone was picked up on the other line. As I sat on my bed, thoughts of Louis purposely ignoring my call sunk in. I was feeling numb after rings went by, buzzing in my ear. Holding in a breath, I braced myself for voicemail. That was until his voice met mine.

“Hello?” We both spoke at the same time. Silence blasted louder than our voices seconds after our greeting. Coughing, I willed myself to speak.

“Hey, Lou.” I said, regretting my word choice right after I spoke.  Lou? Why would I call him Lou?!

“Um… Hello Amanda. Do you need anything?” His voice sounded strained – almost irritated. In that moment I could tell that I wasn’t wanted. Ignoring his unwelcoming aurora, I tried to keep the conversation alive.

“Well, my father said that you wanted to talk… so I called.” Trying to sound confident, I waited for his answer. My lower lip was trembling. I felt somewhat scared.

“I think he got what I said wrong. I didn’t want to talk to you.”

I gulped. “Oh… well, I guess I’ll talk to you.”

There was another grim silence, and soon a low sigh was heard on the other end. Louis was losing his interest; I needed to get my point across quickly. Breathing in and out heavily, I continued.

“Louis, I wanted to apologize.”

“Huh?”

“I haven’t been feeling so great since the day I performed at your concert. Plus, calling the police on you didn’t make me feel any better. And I know this isn’t the time, but I didn’t know it was you who I was calling the police on.”

“Yeah? Cool, now if you excuse me I ne –”

“Wait!” I stopped him from leaving. It took all of my willpower to call him, I wasn’t going to leave without getting my point across! “I know you’re not listening to me right now… so would you mind if you meet me at the starbucks on 5th street?”

It was obvious that he was surprised by my offer, in fact so was I. However, I needed to talk to him in person if I wanted to get something into his stubborn head. There was a predicted silence on the other line, causing me to bite my bottom lip.

“You know what, sure. I’ll be there at around lunch time.” With that, he hung up.

I sighed at him, sensing his bitterness even with him off the phone. Running my fingers through my hair, my back touched the mattress of my bed. As I looked up at the ceiling, I the realized what I had gotten myself into.

Louis and I were meeting. Today.

*~*~*

“Mum, I’m off!” Before leaving for the coffee shop, I yelled behind me into the house. Right as I stepped out the front door, I turned to see my mother frantically waving from the kitchen. She was more excited than me.

Laughter cascaded from my mouth as I shook my head. Turning around, I descended off my porch and onto the sidewalk. That was until the chiming of clinking metal in my pocket was brought to my attention. My Mum gave me the keys.

“THANK YOU MUM!” I yelled at the house, and ran onto the drive way.

Getting in the car, I turned the ignition on. Smirking when the car roared to life, I savored the feeling of the leather steering wheel under my palms. It had been months since I had driven a car, today felt great.

When I reached the main road that went into town, it was then when my awful driving skills hit me. The amount of times I had been honked by fellow drivers was unbelievably high. Not to mention, I accidentally turned to the radio on full blast – but I was too scared to let go of the wheel and turn it down lower.