Chapter 3

Lynnon's POV

I stop in front of my full length mirror one last time before I leave for my first day of work. I look over my outfit just to make sure I'm okay with it. I'm wearing a flowing, quarter-sleeved black shirt, some dark skinny jeans, and my favorite black ankle boots. I usually wear more casual clothes to work since most of the time I'm out in the field taking photos, but since it's my first day I figured I'd look a little more presentable.

I take my hair out of the hair tie and let my hair fall down in its natural curls. I grab my lip gloss off of my desk and get closer to the mirror. I retouch my lips and I proudly pat myself on the back when I notice how perfect my eyeliner looks. I give myself an encouraging smile before I head down the stairs and into the kitchen to grab a quick breakfast.

After I finish my yogurt, I throw my messenger bag over my shoulder and grab my equipment on the way to the front door, "I'm leaving, mom. I love you!"

"Okay. Have a great day, baby. I love you!" She yells from somewhere in the house.

I nervously tap my fingers on my steering wheel as I drive to the office, so I decide to play "Daydream" by Tori because that song always calms my nerves whenever I'm starting something new. I had the song on repeat the whole flight when I was moving to Italy and it just kind of stuck for it to be my go to song. I quietly sing along with the lyrics as I turn into the parking lot and I pull into a space.

I walk through the glass doors and through what I presume is the waiting area until I come up to a big, white receptionist desk. The young woman sitting at the desk looks up and smiles at me.

"Hi, you must be Lynnon," she gets up from her desk and outstretches her hand.

"Yes, that's me," I shake her hand and return the smile.

"I love your name, it's different. I'm Jasmine, but you can call me Jaz or Jazzy, whichever you prefer. What about you?"

"Thank you. My mom is a huge Beatles fan, well big music fan in general, but Lynnon or Lyn is fine," I say as I continue to take in of what I can see of the office.

"She sounds pretty awesome. I'll have to get a feel for your personality to see which one I'll stick with," Jasmine giggles and I smile at her endearingly. "Well, follow me and I'll give you a tour of the place," she motions me to follow her and I step from around the desk to do so.

We walk past a staircase that sits to our left towards a group of cubicles. I follow Jasmine as she makes a left turn and there's four cubicles on each side of us as we walk down the middle. "This is where all of our writers work. All the visually creative folks like yourself are upstairs," Jasmine points to the stairs and I nod my head. As we walk through, the writers that are present give me friendly smiles and I gladly reciprocate them.

"This room back here is a dark room. Now, I know, that that's a little outdated with how digital everything is nowadays, but the boss likes to get a little old school sometimes. It's also used by someone who is going to be presenting ideas for a big spread or something like that."

Jasmine opens the door. I peer inside and my eyes light up. I've always loved developing my photos because I loved being so hands on with them. In my own weird way, they feel like my little babies that I'm nurturing to life, "This is amazing."

"Yeah, it is pretty cool. So, now I'll show you upstairs where your office is and you can meet some of the other photojournalists."

We walk back through the cubicles and I follow Jasmine up the stairs. We go to the right where there are more desk and a room with glass walls that looks like a conference room. We go to the left and there is a line of offices. We stop at the second door and Jasmine motions for me to open it.