Chapter 10

Tori's POV

It takes nine steps to go from my door to the other side of my room and I've walked the path at lease twelve times. The encounter I just had with Lynnon keeps replaying in my head and I keep kicking myself because there's so much I could've said to her. I need to be able to move past this with her because I miss her, and it's not even about the hope of us getting together anymore. Before anything, she's my best friend, and if the past twenty-nine days has confirmed anything, it's that I need Lynnon in my life.

"Tori..." I stop my pacing and I see Kamari walking into my room. She stops right in front of me and looks at me expectantly, "So? Did you guys talk?"

"We talked."

"And," Kamari leans her head down slightly and raises both of her eyebrows. I shrug my shoulders indifferently and Kamari slowly knits her eyebrows together. "What does that mean," she ask while mimicking my actions.

I huff out in annoyance, "Nothing. It means nothing."

Kamari pinches the bridge of her nose with her index and thumb finger and scrunches her face up in frustration. "You're going to make me revert back to my sinning days and cuss you out right now. I thought we were done being stupid, Victoria? Like, I for real thought you were done with that. Why did you just let her walk away again?"

"I really don't need a lecture from you right now, Mari." I cross my arms over my chest, sitting down in my desk chair. There's nothing that Kamari could say to me that I haven't already said to myself. I was scared of how talking to her about everything could end and I know that's a poor excuse, but that's what it is.

"Okay," Kamari responds calmly as she takes a seat on my bed. "I'm just looking out for you. There's no reason not to fight for something as special as what you and Lyn can have...do have. You both love each other so much and I don't want y'all to miss out on this opportunity just because you two refuse to talk to each other, that's all."

I look over at Kamari as I let her words sink in. I know that she's right and I also know that I really have to stop letting my fears hold me back when it comes to Lynnon because it may cause me to lose her for good.

******

Lynnon's POV

I release a tired sigh as I enter my apartment and I make my way to my bedroom with my bags dragging behind me. Seeing Tori tonight was harder on me than I expected it to be. I thought being away gave me the chance to get over her and that we could just forget everything that happened, but the minute I saw her I knew. I knew that nothing would ever be the same and that hurt because I don't know what that means for us.

I pull my laptop out and I plug my phone up into it so it can finally charge. I walk over to my suitcase and I begin unpacking all of my clothes. After a few minutes, all I can hear is my thoughts and that's the last thing I need, so I hit play on my iTunes and I let my music library play on shuffle. The first song that plays is Halfcrazy by Musiq Soulchild. "Of course," I mutter to myself as I turn back around to finish unpacking my clothes.

La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

Never thought that we would ever be more than friends

Now I'm all confused cause for you, I have deeper feelings

We both thought it was cool to cross the line

And I was convinced it would be alright

Now things are strange, nothings the same

And really I just want my friend back

I quietly start to sing the lyrics to the song as I reminisce about my relationship with Tori and how we ended up where we are now. I give up trying to unpack because Tori is all I can focus on. That night at Scooter's, I walked away from her because I was angry, but tonight I have no idea why I did it. I miss her way too much to still be upset over how things went down between us, but I couldn't bring myself to tell her that. I guess I feel like there's no point in rehashing things, especially with her leaving tomorrow.