Chapter 45

Lynnon's POV

Ever since I returned home I've been cuddled up with Tori. When I walked into the room I could tell she was surprised to see that I came back so quickly. I had gone out to go visit Esther, my favorite eyebrow threader, just to find out that she passed away earlier this week. I didn't know Esther well, but she was so great at what she did and also she just had the best sense of humor, so it saddened me to hear that she was gone. Tori offered to watch baby animal videos with me as an attempt to cheer me up, but I just felt like being held and being close to her.

I let out a short grunt when Tori stops massaging my scalp. I'm lying between her legs with my head resting on her stomach and she's soothingly rubbing my head while she reads, but every so often she stops to turn her page and I grunt every time. Giggling, she returns her fingertips into my hair and I sigh contently as I turn my face further into her stomach. I don't know how long we've been laying here and I wish we could stay like this all day, but we have a few things to get done before Whitney, her friend Reagan, and Aunt Vivian's plane lands at four.

I'm still not too thrilled that Aunt Vivian came with them, but my mom felt that it was the perfect opportunity for her to be able to spend some time with her older sister. I know that they were close before all the drama with me happened and that she has missed her, so I can honestly say that I'd be happy for them if they are able to resolve their issues.

It actually would be really nice if we could resolve our issues too. Tori and I have had a few long, deep conversations about it and she reminded me that how Aunt Vivian treats me isn't a reflection on me and that I need to find it in my heart to still love her. At first I shrugged her off because why should I love and respect her if she doesn't love and respect me, but eventually Tori's words got to me, like they always do.

After reflecting on it some, I figured out that none of what she says would get to me or hurt as much as it does if I didn't love her. She's my family–my aunt, and even though we would clash with each other sometimes we shared so many happy and fun times with one another. When I did decide to come out to everyone I expected her to be resistant with accepting it, but I never thought our relationship would turn into what it has. I have hope, but I also know Aunt Vivian. She's extremely stuck in her ways.

We continue to lie together, Tori enjoying her book and me just enjoying her presence, and I love having these moments with her. I love just being near her. It makes me feel content and cherished and safe. It's like everything she does oozes with how much she loves me. It's in the way she looks at me, touches me, holds me, in the way she speaks to me and the things that she says to me. I'm pretty sure it's always been that way, but now I have this new found appreciation for it. 

Our peaceful time together is ruined when Tori's phone begins to vibrate on the bed next to us. I pout as a protesting groan rattles from my throat because I know this phone call means my head rubs have to be put on pause.

With a slight giggle Tori picks up her phone, "It's Scooter."

I groan again, "Tell him we're grieving."

Another cute giggle slips past her lips and Tori goes on with her conversation. I just lay here, watching her and patiently waiting for her to finish because I don't see why she can't talk and rub my head at the same time.

"Hold on, Scooter," she covers the receiver of the phone with her hand, "Watch out, babe. I have to go check some emails."

Tori nudges me with her leg when I don't attempt to move, but I don't see why she can't just stay here with me and check them on her phone. Begrudgingly, I move so she can get up and she gives me a quick peck before scurrying out of the room.