Chapter 44

Tori's POV

I let my finger hover over Jason's contact. I can't even remember the last time I had to use it and I'm a bit nervous about calling him. We were never particularly close since he did live in another country my whole relationship with Brandon, but he never made me feel like he didn't approve of me. I always thought he was sweet and genuine the rare times I did get to be around him, but I'm not sure how he feels towards me after everything that's happened.

I don't know if a part of him blames me for Brandon's death. I'm glad the he and Lynnon were able to remain friends and Lynnon has told me that he's asked about me. She's tried to convince me to just call him and that I don't have anything to worry about, but she doesn't get it. She thinks just because they're okay that means him and I are okay, but it's different with them. They have a bond and a connection that I never shared with him. Pushing that all aside though, I tap his number to call him because this isn't about me anyway.

"Hello?"

I sit up a little straighter once I hear his familiar, deep voice. I guess there's no going back now. "Hey, Jason...It's Tori."

"Yeah, hey. How are you?"

I relax again when the only thing I can hear in his tone is surprise, sincere surprise. "I'm good, great actually. What about you?"

"Can't complain at all."

"That's good. Um," I pause for a second because despite him seeming happy to hear from me, I still feel awkward, "I was calling because Lyn's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks in May, but it's on a Monday, so I was thinking of having a small get together the Saturday before. I know she would really love it if you came."

Even though I wasn't expecting Lynnon to ask me to move in with her, it really did happen at the perfect time. I already knew I wanted to do something with just our families and her close friends, and this is the perfect excuse to have everybody over. After I move in this upcoming Monday that gives me almost two weeks to get settled in while I finish planning this get together for her birthday. I just hope she doesn't get all grumpy over it. She's explained it to me many of times, but I can't seem to wrap my head around why she's so against celebrating her birthday.

"Yeah, I'm there. Of course. I've been meaning to come see my mom too anyway, so now I can kill two birds with one stone I guess."

"Yeah...definitely."

"She told me you had stopped by," he says and it takes me by surprise because it's as if he read my thoughts just now. I tried to see their mom a couple months after the shooting. I was desperately searching for any type of closure, but she didn't want to see me. "I just think she wasn't really up for talking to anyone back then."

"No, it's fine. I got it," I say because I'm not looking for an explanation. I've done my fair share of avoiding too. "I'm sorry I never returned your phone call. I honestly didn't know what to say to you."

"It's all good. I understand how hard everything was. I just want you to know that I meant what I said, Tori. I'm here for you too."

I smile to myself because I can see what Lynnon saw in him and why it pushed her to believe that Brandon would be someone good for me. He was good for me at one point. I still believe that he was what I needed at that time in my life, but I also believe we both held onto that relationship way longer than we were supposed to. We were never meant to end up together, but I guess that was harder for him to swallow.

"So...you and Kamari, huh?" When Kamari told me that she was "getting to know, Jason", as she tells me, I can admit I was concerned for her. I know I shouldn't clump Jason with Brandon and assume he'll end up doing anything like Brandon did, but the thought crossed my mind. He hasn't given me any reason to doubt him or his intentions from the kind of friend he's been to Lynnon. I also trust Kamari's judgement, so if she wants to see where this can go with him, I fully support it. I told her that and I want him to know that too.