Chapter 12

Part 2

She hugged her knees as she perched in front of the large, iron door, the cold yet tranquil atmosphere surrounding her.

"They're all dead. I can't believe it." "F-father I'm-" "who did it?! Who bit the apple?"

"He's coming back today. Haven't you missed him?" She asked softly, her gaze glued to the dusty, stone floor.

Eren was laying on an uncomfortable slab of wood, his back aching, his stomach glowing. Crying out of both the pain of being healed and grief, he listened as his father's footsteps paced up and down the room.

"It's been a while since we've spoken. Sorry that my visits haven't been as frequent."

"Eren. Was it you?" "N-no I swear-" "did you tell a demon about the apple?" Eren's sobs were halted to a stop, his body trembling.

The female sighed, pressing her knees closer to her chest, resting her head on them. "I understand if you don't respond. Even if you aren't listening, I still love talking to you."

"No.." "Don't lie to me Eren!" Suddenly a wave of pain rushed through his body, his back arching. "Did. You. Tell them?" "O-only one." "Who?" Eren remained silent.

"Will you respond for him? Maybe then we'll talk. I can't wait to see you again."

More pain. Instead of his wound healing, it was being pulled open. He screamed out, choking on his sobs. "Who Eren?" "Levi! I told Levi!" He yelled.

She felt a stinging pain in her chest, her expression a morbid one. This was the only place she felt she could let her facade rest.

The pain stopped, his body relaxing onto the surface, tears rolling down his cheeks. "You told Levi?" "Maybe if you told me the truth about everything, I would be less oblivious. None of this would've happened if you just told me." Eren shouted angrily.

She hesitated before saying, "I see you when you're training. I know I'm not supposed to but I always manage to grab a small peak." Chuckling, she smiled to herself, her happy expression immediately falling afterwards.

His father sighed. "Do you still like Levi? Do you want to see him again?" Eren's eyes glistened with rage. "Yes. To...

She remained silent for a couple of minutes before speaking again. "I know you'll be able to do it. I know you'll be able to.."

"Kill him."

"Mikasa. It's time to go. You'll get caught if you don't leave now." Sighing, the young raven haired girl stood up, following the Angel that cautiously led her out.

"Thank you, Jean." She said, her tone and expression emotionless once again.

"I don't know why you bother. He's never going to answer."

"He will. I know he will." Her tone remained void but deep inside, she could feel her hope slowly disappearing.

The silence between the two lingered as they walked up the stairs of the basement and out into the palace. Jean silently closed the door, leading Mikasa to her father's room. The two stood outside the room.

"Good luck."

"I won't need it.." She said, placing her hand on the door.

"He was exiled for a reason you know. It's because of him that-"

"I said I won't need it." And with that, she pushed the door open, leaving Jean behind.

"Mikasa?!"