Beautiful Alias, Ugly Actions

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

Marlena let out a weary sigh as she made her way down the long staircase. She had just finished delivering her brother's dinner to him, which he had decided last minute should be chicken nuggets with a side of tater tots. Mason was quite the handful for a twelve-year-old boy, but Marlena never complained about it, no matter how much she wanted to. She'd been his main caretaker since he was seven years old, and she enjoyed taking care of him. With a very successful and very busy neurosurgeon as her mother, she kind of had to enjoy it. Marlena was practically among the only family members he had left to turn to. All of their grandparents were gone; their mom was an only child, so there weren't any relatives on her side; the remainder of her father's family in Sokovia, which consisted of her aunt and uncle, as well as her two cousins had been killed several years ago in a bombing. Without Marlena, Mason would have no one, and that was not something she wanted for him.

Bucky was still sat on the couch in the living room, just as he had been for the past twenty minutes while Marlena fixed her brother's dinner. He was leaning against the arm of the chair with his head propped up onto his right hand. His left arm was still hidden beneath a jacket sleeve and a pocket; he had made the decision at the museum that he would wait to tell her about the Winter Soldier out of fear of scaring her away. She was the only person he had to turn to right now, and he didn't want to jeopardize that.

Marlena strolled into the living room and immediately averted her attention to Bucky. She noticed just how focused he was on the television screen, which was now displaying features from the five o'clock news. He seemed to be completely enthralled with the moving picture, and this evoked a small laugh from Marlena. Bucky turned his head at the sound of her laugh, and a small smile lit up his face. He knew exactly why she was laughing, and it rather embarrassed him. He didn't particularly mind it though; he was just ecstatic that he was able to feel other emotions besides pain and remorse.

"I'm not quite used to this technology," he told Marlena. The only technology he was familiar with were modernized weapons, as well as the occasional quinjet.

She chuckled and walked over to stand behind the couch. "I assumed that much. I'm gonna go fetch a drink from the kitchen, do you want one?"

He thought about it for a moment before nodding slowly. He wasn't exactly used to being asked what he wanted; he wasn't used to being given a choice. He was only used to being instructed about what it was that he needed to do.

"What do you have?"

"I have water, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, Gatorade, and Coke," she answered him.

He furrowed his eyebrows in response to the drink names she had just recited to him. The only two things on the list he seemed to recall that he knew was Root Beer and Coke (and water, of course), which, according to his mind, were very popular drinks back in his time period of the 1930's and 1940's. He was surprised they still existed here in the twenty-first century.