An Early Christmas Present

ONE WEEK LATER: DECEMBER 23, 2014

★ ★ ★

"Marlena! Bucky! Wake up!" Mason yelled as he ran down the hallway towards the couple's bedroom.

Marlena groaned in response to the loudness of his voice and rolled over in bed, pulling a pillow over her head as if to block out the pain inducing noise of her brother's voice. She wasn't sure what time it was, nor did she care; all she wanted was to sleep, but she couldn't do that if Mason didn't stop yelling.

"Why are you guys still sleeping?" Mason questioned as he barreled into the bedroom. He ran over to the bed and jumped on, further annoying the two occupants (Marlena, mostly). "Get up!"

"If you don't get off of me I'm going to punch you in your face," Marlena grumbled as she attempted to push him away.

"Violence is never the answer," Bucky muttered sleepily as he hugged his pillow to his chest.

Marlena only groaned again and pulled the comforter over her body, only for Mason to rip it away. Marlena's eyes widened slightly and she snatched the cover from him and pulled it back over her, but it was too late; Mason had already seen more than he bargained for.

"Why aren't you wearing any clothes, Marlena Elisabeth Claire?" he asked seriously, placing his hands on his hips in a chastising manner.

Bucky laughed beside her and hugged his pillow tighter, while Marlena glared at her brother.

"I am wearing clothes," Marlena retorted. "Just not all of them."

Mason glanced between Marlena and a shirtless Bucky with narrowed eyes. He might have been thirteen years old, but he definitely wasn't stupid. Kids his age knew more about the world than they should, and this just so happened to an example of that.

"Don't worry," Mason said as he stood up on the mattress. "I won't tell mom what you two have been doing."

Marlena scoffed and buried her head into the mattress. "As if it really matters—everyone else already knows. Now go away."

"No, Mr. America told me to come get you. He has a surprise for you," Mason told her.

Marlena sat up and removed herself from the bed, taking the comforter with her and wrapping it around her body. Mason lost his balance at the abruptness of the action and fell back onto a half-naked Bucky, eliciting a groan from the tired super soldier.

"What kind of surprise?" Bucky asked as he sat up, removing Mason from his body.

"You already know what it is, Bucky," Mason exclaimed as he jumped off the bed and ran out of the room, slamming the door shut on his way out.

Bucky sighed and looked over at Marlena, who seemed to be very lost in thought. "You okay?" he asked, removing her from her trance.

"Yeah, just wondering what this surprise is," she answered quickly, running over to her dresser to find an outfit to wear.

"You'll see," Bucky said as he stood up, strolling over to his dresser.

Marlena rolled her eyes and pulled out a plain, white shirt and a pair of dark wash skinny jeans. "I hate surprises."

"I think you'll love this one, though," Bucky mused as he scratched the back of his head.

Marlena stood up and stomped over to him, her clothes still in hand. He turned to look at her, slightly surprised at the close proximity between the two of them.

"Why don't you just tell me so we can go back to sleep?" she whined as she pressed her forehead to his bare chest.

He chuckled and shook his head, planting a kiss to her lips. "Steve can tell you just fine."