Too Late For Apologies

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

As Marlena walked up the steps leading to Hallie's front porch, she looked over her shoulder at Bucky, who gave her a reassuring expression. According to Miranda, the last time the Claire family had any contact with the blonde was when Miranda picked up Mason after she had left him with Hallie when Marlena first went missing.

"What are you going to say to her?" Bucky asked as they reached the porch, his hands shoved deep into his pockets.

"Probably something along the lines of, 'What the hell is wrong with you, you stupid bitch?'" Marlena huffed, glancing at Bucky before her pointer finger pressed the doorbell.

"Marlena," Bucky tried, only to be cut off by her.

"No, Bucky. She was supposed to be my friend—my best friend. All of this happened because of her, and then she doesn't even have the decency to stay in contact with my mother after I disappear? That's bullshit, Barnes, and you know it."

Before Bucky could respond, the door swung open, revealing Hallie in a fitted, black shirt with a high-waisted burgundy skirt, and black, knee-high boots. Her hair was curled to perfection, her lips coated in a pretty, matte lipstick. She was definitely going out; Marlena knew when Hallie was dressing to impress, and this—this was one of those outfits.

Hallie's eyes widened, her lips parting in surprise, "Holy shit."

Marlena found it hard to find the right words to say at first. The last time she had seen Hallie was the day that she had blown up at Marlena for not getting rid of Bucky, only to find out that Bucky was not the monster she had seen murdering on the bridge. She'd apologized and left, but Marlena had felt anything but forgiveness for her "friend" since then.

"Surprise, I'm not dead," Marlena replied bluntly after a few moments of awkward silence and staring.

"Dead? I just thought you were missing—"

"Oh yeah, right. You wouldn't have known anything about that situation, since you know, you ignored all of my mother's attempts to reach out to you," Marlena snapped back, not allowing the girl to defend herself.

"Mar, I'm—"

"You don't get to call me that, Hallie. Only people who really care about me can refer to me by that nickname."

"Marlena, maybe you should think about this before—" Bucky once again was cut off by the brunette, her face reddening with anger.

"What was I supposed to say to Miranda, huh? 'Sorry for getting your daughter abducted and outing Bucky to the very people that brainwashed and tortured him until he became their psycho slave'?" Hallie folded her arms across her chest, pulling her infamous bitch face.