There's A Mission

ONE WEEK LATER

★ ★ ★

Marlena lay on the couch in the loft with her feet propped over the back of it, her cell phone in her hand, and her headphones in her ears. She had just returned from speaking with Tony and Bruce about her issue regarding being taken off the suppressors. The two were more than ready to finally take her off of them, but Marlena was anything but. She had suffered a mild panic attack due to her fear of being taken off of the suppressors, which in turn made both Bruce and Tony feel awfully terrible. . .for the third time that week.

The past week had been a fairly difficult for Marlena. She was dealing with the fear of what could possibly happen if she were to be taken off the suppressors, yet no one except for Bruce and Tony knew it. She had done a good job concealing her emotions from everyone else, as well as the fact that she was even still on the suppressors. She feared she wouldn't like the reaction she received from her friends and Bucky if she told them she was going to stay on the suppressors until she felt comfortable enough to be taken off of them; she feared she would end up hurting one of her friends if she were to be taken off of the suppressors, and that was something she would never be able to forgive herself for allowing to happen.

The possibility that she could hurt the people she cared about without any effort whatsoever was what really prompted Marlena's need to remain on the suppressors. It was her number one fear at the moment, and although she was not exactly aware of just how powerful she was as an individual, she could feel it inside her to an extent. Not to mention, Tony and Bruce had done an excellent job explaining to her how catastrophic her abilities could prove to be if they weren't controlled properly.

Marlena scrolled aimlessly through her Twitter feed as she lay on the couch, singing Redbone's "Come and Get Your Love" to herself. She was in a particularly good mood now that she had gotten out of yet another attempt in trying to take her off of the suppressors. It was either that or the suppressors had put her in a good mood themselves; they did affect her emotions, after all.

Bucky made his way into the loft with Steve, dragging him into the room by his wrist so he could hand him over to Marlena. The two had spent the last hour and a half talking about Steve's relationship with Natasha, which was nonexistent according to Steve. Their talk had proved to be nothing but annoying for Bucky, and, as of right now, he was more than done with his best friend. He decided it would be best to let someone he knew could talk some sense into him take over.

"Marlena," Bucky said as he and Steve stepped further into the loft.

Marlena could not hear him, though, nor could she see either of them. She was now busy singing "Colors of the Wind" from the Pocahontas soundtrack, as well as scrolling through her Facebook feed. Steve snickered at her, while Bucky merely raised his eyebrows in response to what he was witnessing.

"I know that song," Steve said. "It's from that Pocahontas movie."

Bucky gave him a look. "There's a Pocahontas movie? With singing?"

"Yeah. Don't worry—I didn't understand it either."

Bucky only shook his head and stepped away from Steve, making his way over to Marlena. He pulled the headphones out of her ears, which startled her. She jumped into a sitting position and looked up at Bucky, who now had an amused smirk on his face.

"Are you having fun, sweetheart?" he baited, handing her headphones back to her.

She tucked her phone and headphones into the couch cushion. "What do you want?"

"I need you to talk some sense into Steve," Bucky said, gesturing to his friend who only gave a small wave.

Marlena chuckled and pulled her feet onto the couch. "About what?"