♛ Chapter 12

♛ "Tell me, what did you experience during the marking?" the old man said with some authority in his voice. Well I wasn't swayed by him.

"It's intensely personal and I don't feel like sharing with a stranger," is all I replied tersely. I didn't know who this man was.

"Aislin," Kendrew growled in a warning, but the old man simply held up his hand.

"Did you feel this cascading effect which quickly overcame your senses? Did you start to feel the 'life spark' of other wolves, wolves that you didn't even know? Did this bonding start to accelerate beyond imagining, did you start to feel overwhelmed to the point of madness as hundreds and thousands of wolves all started whispering in your head?"

I looked at Kendrew accusingly, "What exactly did you tell him?"

Kendrew took my hand and shook his head 'no'. "I didn't tell him anything Aislin, I still don't know what you experienced exactly. I can guess but I don't know for sure since first you passed out then ran away." Kendrew seemed relieved I left my hand in his.

"Well my wolf took over, plus I knew you were right behind me," I said through my gritted teeth.

The old man ignored our exchange and continued to look at me. "Do you hear the voices of a million wolves?"

Startled I took a small step back while Kendrew held my hand even tighter. I whispered to this mysterious man, "Yes."

The man went on in a soothing voice, "I can train you to handle the million voices, but you need to do exactly what I say. Do you understand this?"

I tilted my head and looked at the man. "The voices are gone right now, I think if I stayed in the meadow, in the forest they would stay out of my head."

The old man continued to study me. "I've created a temporary block for you, it is not due to this forest or meadow. I would remove the block to show you but I don't think you would survive it."

Startled I looked at the old man again. "Who or what are you?" I was almost panicked, I couldn't take hearing all those voices again, I simply couldn't.

"Come," is all he said and led the way to a dirt track. There was a black SUV waiting, apparently the old man didn't feel like walking all the way back.

"Yes Grandfather," Kendrew replied as he gently pulled my hand towards the cars. Grandfather? What the fuck was going on? Kendrew looked at me and slowly shook his head 'no'. Kendrew and I sat in the back while his Grandfather or Master or whatever sat in the front next to a bodyguard driver. We started moving along the narrow dirt road as the brush slapped the car

Shifting to look at me, Kendrew said, "I know you have questions Aislin, and I'll do my best to answer them for you. When my father was assassinated I had to prepare for two years for the 'King Ascension' ceremony, which is done privately and is very hazardous. As you experienced the 'World Link' in an accelerated way, the normal ceremony is done over several weeks in seclusion and is supervised by the Master and several other advisors."

Kendrew took my hand and kissed it, it was more for him than me since I was still in shock and didn't really want to be around anyone. I resisted pulling away from my mate since he would feel hurt, and I owed him for running from him to talk to my brother's grave. "The World Link changes a King, it changed me. But I had help and ceremonial drugs to assist me, Aislin. I can't imagine going through what you went through so quickly and painfully. And I still want to talk to your wolf to find out why she chose to do this." Well I wanted to know what the fuck was happening also.