♛ Chapter 15

♛ I passed a few random wolves on the stairs and in the halls, and they nodded their heads at me. But most of the Warriors were at the party. The old man was standing and looking out the window. I realized he watched the whole spectacle outside, including me getting thrown in the river. He was smoking a cigar and enjoying a cup of coffee, looking out his 'domain'. Per usual I waited for him, but this time I had showered first.

"Pull up a chair Aislin," he turned around and commanded and I did as he asked. "I see you've completed your training," he started.

I didn't really know how to respond to him, so I simply said my usual answer, "Yes."

"And Donald won the betting pool."

"So I heard," I again replied, mentally rolling my eyes.

"Well done," he said and puffed on the cigar. This man had threatened me each day with death for the past two months, what the hell did I have to say to him?

"Thank you Master," I said at the prompting of my wolf. She was usually right.

"Oh cut the crap Aislin, I know you call me Master Asshat. And I'm sure I deserve that." He took another puff and savored the smoke, blowing it out slowly. I remained silent.

"You might as well call me Grandfather then if you will never show me respect." I just bit my own tongue almost in half to stay quiet.

"Go ahead and say it, Aislin."

"Why did you agree to save me if you were just going to torment me?"

Putting his cigar in the ashtray he sat in his chair and crossed his legs. "What choice did I have Aislin? My grandson chose you, he will never choose another. We waited for so long for him to choose somebody, it was just strange to everyone that he chose you."

I couldn't help but be offended by his statement, but it matched my own opinion so I remained silent.

"No offense," he belatedly said.

Leaning forward I carefully bit out, "I'm on to you old man, you're deliberately provoking me. And yes I'm offended, but I also agree with your assessment. So save the platitudes and just say what you want to tell me."

Picking up his cigar again he looked at me knowingly right in the eyes. "I was wrong."

Shocked I frowned at him. I was expecting more insults, I was expecting further manipulations- but I wasn't expecting this.

Standing up I said loudly, "What? You think I will die tomorrow at the Ascension Ceremony when you release your mental shielding? You are saying this because you think I'm too weak to handle this?"

Smirking and taking another puff of smoke, the old man couldn't help his smile as he kept his gaze on me. "I made a bargain with Kendrew to be part of your family in exchange for saving you. Why? Because I'm a lonely old man and I miss being surrounded by family. I miss being surrounded by life. I know I'm a bastard, but I want to be part of your children's lives."

"And I have a secret, but need Kendrew to come inside and join us first." With that Kendrew walked to stand beside me. He must have been listening for a while.

"Kendrew," the old man said to him.

"Master," he replied stonily.

"Call me Grandfather," he said to Kendrew looking up at him behind his grey, bushy eyebrows.