♛ Chapter 16

♛ Kendrew and I were sitting in front of the fireplace the next day, waiting for the Queen's Coronation. I could care less actually, what the hell was wrong with me? I just kept thinking that, I should at least feel nervous. But I just felt... flat. Just... nada.

So I stood up and told Kendrew I was going to the mess hall to grab some coffee, and he just continued to read his paper and nodded his head. I lied about that, shouldn't I at least feel a little bad? Again I felt nothing, I was in a type of limbo. I walked into the woods and took out my knives where I hid them, then started throwing them at my target. I didn't really even look at the target, I was trying to figure out what was going on.

I didn't want to return to the palace, it just didn't feel like home. I didn't want to travel with Kendrew, he just didn't feel like my mate. I didn't want to live the life I left, I had no place anywhere. What the fuck was I doing? In a few short hours I would need to stand in front of the most powerful wolves in the world and become their Queen.

Well what about what I wanted? The only thing is I didn't know what the hell I wanted. I didn't know anything. So I kept throwing my knives, throwing and throwing and throwing until I finally just stood there and closed my eyes.

"Wolf?" I asked. "What the hell is wrong with me?"

'Yip' is all I heard, she wasn't in the mood to really talk to me.

"You know we have to become Queen tonight?" I felt her listening to me, but not responding.

"Well, it appears that you're the Queen really, and I'm nothing." I could tell that my wolf didn't agree with me.

In her firm but quiet voice she responded, "That's not true. And I'm not sure what's wrong, I feel the same way towards Mate's wolf. I don't understand it either."

Sighing I opened my eyes and Harding Spense was standing nearby. "Your Highness? It's time to get ready."

Nodding to him I retrieved my knives and took them with me, I didn't know if I'd be back. Actually I knew I would never be back here.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I had a few women help me dress. Grandfather was correct, the gown was exquisite. I refused to let them put my hair up or put much makeup on me. I was plain old Aislin, but when they made me look in the mirror I just stared at my reflection.

I looked absolutely stunning and I've never thought that about myself before. And I had some nice, short heels to wear which matched perfectly. I shook my head and stepped away and looked at Kendrew standing by the door in a tuxedo. He did look gorgeous himself, the King could certainly fill out a tux.

He had a rectangular box which I figured was my necklace and he walked toward me as everyone silently left the room. Kendrew opened the box and pulled out a stunning diamond necklace and walked around me to put it on my neck. He kissed my neck, and I once again mourned the loss of the sparks I once felt. And I once again felt like crying.

But I put on a brave face and tried to smile. Kendrew took my hand and led me out of the room to the main entrance. The foyer was filled with dozens of people I'd never seen. And the hallways and every room wer all filled with total strangers. Kendrew would stop sometimes and speak to someone, never letting go of my hand even though I tugged a few times. He just ignored it. We finally made our way to a fancy ballroom where a small platform stood at the far end.